Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a solution to an oil leak underneath between the crankcases. I am going to try to apply some kind of liquid gasket externally to it during my next oil change. I want to check here first to see if someone has a better solution or can suggest a better compound to use.

If interested, the story is this. I bought the bike used a few months ago. It only had 3,000 miles and looked new. I never noticed the oil leak until I got it home in the garage. I had asked the PO about any issues with the bike but he failed to mention the oil leak. It was a small leak. I thought maybe it just leaked around the drain bolt. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and to have them check everything over because I was going on a long trip. I specifically asked that they investigate the leak.

I picked it up and noticed the next day that the leak was still there. I went on my trip to my sister's house about 1,000 miles away. I was only 10 miles away from her house when my gps showed me to make a left turn. But in reality the other road dead ended before it connected to the road I was on. It was so close that I just rode over the grass. What I didn't notice was a curb. I went over the curb very slow but it made a sickening thud. Rookie mistake. It is my first cruiser. I made it to my sister's and looked underneath and it was dripping oil much much faster.

I took it to a local motorcycle shop the next day. The mechanic noticed that all the bolts underneath holding the crankcases together were missing!! How did the dealer miss that? How did I miss that? How did they disappear? The mechanic installed new bolts. Now the bike leaks much less, but still leaks like it did before I hit the curb.

My conclusion is that since the bolts were missing, hitting the curb jostled the crankcase enough to increase the oil leak. I will never replace the crankcase gasket, and have no guarantee that will solve it anyway. I am resigned to having a permanent leaker. It is more of a nuisance than anything. It doesn't leak enough to ever have to add oil between oil changes. Other than that the bike performed beautifully over the 3,500 mile round trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the question...?? You said that you will never replace the crankcase gasket (IMHO the right fix), the bike performed fine and is 'more of a nuisance than anything'....so....???

It'd drive me nuts. I 'get it' that it's a ton of work but based on your description, I'd split those cases and fix it, the right way. IMHO smearing goop on the outside of it probably won't take care of it, long term.

As they say, one man's opinion.....BBS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blinded, I understand your position. Oil leaks bother me too, but splitting the cases bothers me much more. I am looking for a band aid solution. If the leak gets worse, then I will rethink. If there is no band aid solution, I will just keep a pan under it.

If the cases have a little bend/dent somewhere, then a new gasket may not solve it. And having it done at a shop may cost half as much as I paid for the bike.

If a little goop will stop it at least until the next oil change, I will be tickled pink. But you are probably right. It is a long shot. At least it is an inexpensive one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts