Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Investigated a leak,
Took the left side cover off, pulled the clutch slave off. And right there was a seal around the rod that goes in to engage the clutch.

That seal simply pushed out, so I pushed it in. Then I got more aggressive and pushed in harder to make sure it was in all the way..... Oh no! Yea it pushed all the way in past the case, inside! Now what? I attempted a number of ways to retrieve but no luck.

So here are my questions.
1. Can I just leave that seal on the rod and add a new one? It's would just sit there right?
2. As I was attempting to retrieve the seal, I was pulling the rod in and out 2-3 inches. What is on the other end of that rod? If I pull that rod out too far will anything fall off? ( I thought it felt like a washer or something fell off!?) Also, I can't find an exploded view of those parts anywhere. Even in the Kawi manual.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
The clutch rod goes thru the bevel gear case and into the hollow transmission input shaft that the clutch is bolted to. It serves to press against the clutch spring for disengagement. The seal would not hurt anything as it would just remain on the shaft inside the bevel gear housing, BUT, here is the problem. The new seal has to be installed from inside the bevel gear case. Yes, it must be removed to install a new seal. If you remove the clutch rod completely, the seal will fall off and I don't think you want that in your bevel gears. Should you remove the rod (there are no parts that will fall off of it), make sure you reinstall it with the round ball seat toward you. The part you need is #92049, seal oil SD8187.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!

If the seal is installed form the inside....

1. How did it push itself out, what is suppose to hold it it place?
2. If i need to remove the case to install the new seal, I can and will remove the old seal as it will be easy to access then, right?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
The new seal has a small flanged lip that prevents it from coming thru the case. Apparently yours has been sliding in the case and worn this flange off. If you remove the bevel gear case, then yes it will be easy to remove as it would most likely fall out when you pulled the cover.
I'm not recommending it, but I have heard of people that bought a new seal and installed it from the outside of the case, using silicone to hold it in place. May work since your old one has already been pushed in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again,

I think I will try the seal from outside! I know it's not the best but will save a ton of work. Worst case is it pops out and then I do it right then, or when I can plan to tear down.

Will that case come off with the engine in the bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dug deeper on those part numbers and found it. I first did a on search it took me to the wrong place.

Seriously, you have helped me a bunch. Can't say thanks enough.

I will post again when finished.

Happy new year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts