Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Long story short: one night I've found myself sitting on the bike and the bike itself standing on some steps, somewhere in the town nearby. So the bike was actually stuck on it, to go on moving home I had to push it a bit forward, and thus scratched the bottom of the engine. Well, the scratches were there before when I was going off the curb, nothing really serious.

But after that magic night I've noticed the oil leak. For the first time I thought that there must be a crack around the scratch, so I used a "cold weld" on it, but it turned out that the oil leaks from somewhere right between the starter and the cylinder. To check that I've put the cloth into the gap and yes, all the oil which normally drips little by little remained on the cloth, so I definitely comes from somewhere there.

Also I've noticed that the starter covers are like twisted: you can see it on the picture, the long bolts are not aligned with the starter axis. I tried to remove the starter maybe to disassemble it or replace, but I couldn't make it. When I pull it (like it's said in the service manual), it just seems to rest against the engine and doesn't go any further.

So there are questions:
1. Where can be the source of leakage, if I didn't even hit that place on the engine (obviously it's behind the starter)?
2. How to remove the starter motor, if the standard procedure fails?
3. Can the starter motor be removed without draining the oil? Maybe I could just lay the bike on the right side and prevent the oil coming from the hole where the starter gear is placed?

I think the problem is in the starter motor: it stays on a such place where it receives any hit from an object like a curb or step or big stone etc. But to find out, I need to replace it, try to look for any damages on the crankcase and maybe close the starter motor gear inlet and let the bike stand for a while and see where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
900 classic
23 Posts
the oil filter is above there, try replacing it and see if that cures it, you can have a better look while it is off the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the oil filter is above there, try replacing it and see if that cures it, you can have a better look while it is off the bike.
Made the revision with oil and oil filter change recently. Nothing changed (except the color of the oil leaking :)

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Do what Du-Rron said. If this starter is bent back and hard to get out, then there might be engine case damage. If you want to try determine origin of the leak, spray area with brake clean, let dry, then run the motor. If you can get you hands on a inspection camera you could look between the starter and the case. Good Luck.

To Du-Rron - That picture you have is wild. It’s one of those things that causes nightmares.😀😀😀

·
Registered
353 Posts
hi, sorry for your problems...
the oil can be drained and reused, just use a clean collecting pan and even a strainer if you think some contaminants/dirt particles got in.

given the fact that in you pic the starter's plug is oily, i would suspect that the leak is higher than the engine case bottom. also in you pics, the area around the oil filter plate looks dry, but also check the other (right) side. that plate is held on the engine case with 3 5mm bolts and a gasket.. it will leak even after a small impact.

anyways, the starter motor's o-ring is a great candidate for the oil leak in my opinion. avoid hammering/tapping the starter motor case or shaft if possible.

it there a chip on the lower leg of the starter motor?

you could try to realign the starter before attempting to pull it out.. the long bolts you mention hold the starter's covers, try to loosen those see if it helps in realigning the starter so that the long bolt you marked clears the case.

best of luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts