Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting several drops of oil on the left side by the kickstand.Seems to be coming from a hole on the right side of the engine by the oil drain plug. it seems seep down to the left side.Not sure what the hole is for or why its leaking.Anyone have the answer.Thanks for the help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil leak

Not sure .Just stuck my head under the bike and saw it leaking.Ive got it stored for the winter.If it warms up ill get up under there and check further.Its cold in Ne

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I had a small drop of oil in the same area once and I could not see where it came from. I have not seen it since.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Noticed that too a few days ago. And ya, its cold as FACK in NE now. Managed to get one good ride in before it froze up again last week.

·
Registered
341 Posts
@gibi:
make a plug of some clean paper-towel. plug the "hole" you were referring to (called drainage outlet passage) and inspect it after a while/ride... see how much oil and/or cooling fluid the paper collects.
it is not abnormal to have a few drops every once in a while. it is due to the expansion/contraction of engine's parts.

-drainage outlet passage is exactly what it says-
the water pump is located right there. it's shaft and impeller have a few seals. there's also a ball bearing... to make it simple, on one side of the crankcase you have oil, on the other you have cooling fluid. because the parts expand and contract at different rates, the seals may leak a drop of oil or cooling fluid. the drainage outlet passage is located such that there is no contamination between oil and water and vice-verso... my understanding anyways.. ;]]

*if the mechanical seal for the cooling fluid is bad, replacement is relatively simple. on the other hand, if you have lots of oil leaking, the crankcase needs to be split in order to replace the oil seal.

** post your questions on the main Vulcan900 page. you'll get faster and more responses from the 'pro' guys. link: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

1 - 8 of 8 Posts