Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am getting ready to change out my air filter, and I wanted to open up the cover and just get a preview of what it looks like inside there, and familiarize myself with the layout. When i took the 4 outer bolts off, and cracked the cover.... HOLYCRAP!!:eek: A LOT of oil came out!! I know there's to be some Blow-by, but about 2, maybe 3 ounces of oil came out. Poured down the side of the transmission cover and onto the floor!!
I know there's supposed to be some, but for an engine that only has 12000 miles on her... I sure didn't expect that much!

Any ideas why there would be so much??:confused::confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hopefully not serious

I hope it's not serious cause I had probably close to what you had but mine was kinda old and sticky more than fresh oil. I changed my oil and when I started it back up some oil coughed out, I must have overfilled it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Engine has excessive oil.Level bike and check sight glass,if the level is too high extract some oil till level is a little above midway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There are some lenghty threads already posted on this subject.

Causes, and fixes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It is normal for this to happen. The crank case vent plugs into the back of the air box and the vacuum from the intake pulls a little oil out of the crank case while you ride. It is a real pain in the butt and you always get oil down the side of the engine when you pop off the filter cover.

The fix is to reroute the crank case vent to a separate little filter breather somewhere else on the bike. Kury as a fancy chrome one but it is kinda pricey. Autozone has little filters for like $10 and you have to buy some fuel hose & fittings. I routed mine around the front of the engine then down under the frame and back to the cross member that holds the front of the rocker arm. If you route it to short of a distance you can get a bad burnt oil smell wafting up. You also don't get as much oil in the line when you reroute it, because there is no vacuum.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I read the VN900 manual and it states below.

Air Cleaner Housing Installation •Check that oil is in the breather drain cap.
If necessary, drain the oil in the cap.

The photo show a small bulb size reservoir that catches oil in the oil filter housing. Jeep Pirate is correct because previsions have been in the air filter housing to catch the oil cause by engine blow-by.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Doesn't the oil help catch dust also? Oiled air filters do a better job of catching dust.

·
Registered
782 Posts
No, the oil does nothing to help catch the dust in the intake. The oil comes out below the filter element on the carburetor side. It is just a little blow-by that comes off the crank case. Some blow-by oil is normal for all engines, but since Kawi had such little room to work with, the short hose from the engine vent to the air box coupled with the natural vacuum state inside the air box help to pull out a little more oil than I was used to seeing. The only dust it catches is when it drips down the side of your engine and picks up any dirt there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I think I'll reroute the house and plug the hole in the stock filter for now... I've got a little filter leftover from a racing loawnmower I had years ago...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts