Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just pulled off the air cleaner cover for the first time since I bought the bike (2006 900 Classic), with the intent of inspecting the air filter to see if it needs replacing..

As soon as I removed the four allen bolts and lifted the bottom part of the cover off some oil started leaking out...it amounted to a few capfulls...like a small espresso quantity..

Where could this be coming from? Should I worry? Bike runs fine, but I did overfill when changing the oil a couple of weeks ago (but siphoned it out before riding)

Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Crankcase breather hose. Could be a result of overfilling, normal use, or a large amount could be a symptom of something else. Most likely it's nothing. Watch the oil levels and monitor it after a few rides.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crankcase breather hose. Could be a result of overfilling, normal use, or a large amount could be a symptom of something else. Most likely it's nothing. Watch the oil levels and monitor it after a few rides.
Thanks for reassuring. The oil was pretty clean, so I suspect it was from when I overfilled..

Unfortunately I couldn't get the filter off...the screw at the top was too tight and now it's completely stripped. My amature tools couldn't get it off and I quit before I caused more damage :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another possibility is that the Air Filter is oil inpregnated. My filter, I can't remember the manufacturer, is a "paper based" filter which has been inpregnated with a "honey like" oil. When I pull the breather cover, once every 5,000 Kilometers. A little of the oil has drained out. More oil the first 5,000 after a new filter. Could be described as a cap full. Depending on the size of the cap. I clean it up and away I go

·
Registered
222 Posts
Totally normal.

I've had my oil bang on, slightly under...always had oil build-up in there. You'll notice when you get the cover off that the oil puddles at the bottom. I'm ready with a rag or napking. The longer you go between intervals of checking the air filter the more you get. If you look into the housing there is a round 3/8" hole (there abouts). It's a hole that goes into a small rubber bubble/tube. You can feel the bubble if you pass you're hand at the back of the housing. It goes no where. It just collects excess oil. You can use some absorbent material to get it out...I use Q-Tips. Then the whole thing starts over.

Check out the diagram: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-kawasaki-vulcan-900-classic-vn900b/o/m149049#sch441848 Choose Fuel & Air > OEM Parts > Air Cleaner. From the tubing you can see how it gets there.

Part number - 92191.

Denis

·
Registered
140 Posts
this is why I personally LOVE this forum... I had the same question a couple of months ago when I bought my 9... saw another post about. Peace of mind goes a long long way in used motorcycle world. Thank you very much to all of you who have posted for what I know could easily be "do a search" RRRR

makes everyone who is not a mechanic or a vulcan expert feel ok about just asking:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts