Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's moisture condensing in the crankcase because your not getting the motor fully up to temperature. This is often a result of short rides on a cold engine where the oil doesn't get hot enough to 'boil' the moisture off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you haven't been riding for a while, you might want to change the oil for peace of mind. I bought mine used, and the po hadn't had it on the road for 2 years. He made a point to ride it around his subdivision every couple weeks, meaning well, but it just augmented the amount of moisture in the crank case. Add up all those short trips, and parking a warm engine in a sub-zero garage each time....it collected a fair amount of water.
I rode it a few times, and dumped the oil. The bottom of the drain pan had about 1/8" of froth when i poured it into my waste oil container. I took it out for a good ride the next day and dumped the oil again. This time there was only a couple frothy spots on the bottom. And, after the 2nd oil change, the milky stuff in the sightglass was finally gone.

If the froth stays at the bottom, it wouldn't be a big deal to ride it until it 'burns' off. Personally, for the price of the oil and filter, I'd sooner be sure it was out of there than take the chance.

I also have a DR650 that I ream on for it's last ride, dump the oil when it's good and hot, change the filter, refill with fresh oil, then roll it into the shed to sleep for the winter.
Last spring when it was warm enough to putter in the shed, I pulled the clutch cover to safety wire the NSU screws. I pulled the cover off and there were pools of water on any horizontal surface behind the clutch cover. Just from the shed getting warm, then cold again over the winter, it would pull moist air into the crankcase and the water would condense and form drops that would run down and pool on any surface they could lay. And this was after having the oil dumped smokin' hot, fresh oil put in, and not started at all. Often I'd go in the shed on a cold day but it would be warm inside and the engine would be covered with frost. i didn't realize until after i pulled the clutch cover, that the same frost was likely forming INSIDE, melting, dripping off, only to form again the next day.

If you look at the attached pic, it'll give you an idea of the amount of water that collects. Again, that was changed hot in the fall, refilled, and put to bed for the winter.
You can see the water pooled in several spots at the bottom of the case, and pooled on the plastic beige gear in the center, the bearing at the top left...add that water to whatever is also pooled up deeper inside where you can't see it. It sure opened MY eyes...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts