Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rear cylinder dead?

I got my vulcan like 4 days ago and on my way home from a friends house I had a sudden loss of power and a ton of smoke from my exhaust. The bike had a loud tapping/chattering noise coming from the rear cylinder I believe. I pulled over into a bank parking lot and low and behold it starts to rain bad. I managed to get the bike started but it didnt want to stay running without some throttle and still made a tapping noise. I got home and started shooting the video and oil is dripping from my exhaust. Im at a complete loss of words.

Edit: I just checked the exhaust and oil is only coming from the top exhaust which is the rear cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psye2JHfZ24

·
BOTM Winner, July 2013
183 Posts
How hard were you running it when said problem happened?

Sounds like you may have windowed a piston to get oil out the exhaust, or at the least broke all the rings on that piston. It would take some doing to get oil to come out the exhaust pipe, other than smoking it out. Your U tube link comes up private, and I could not view it. Run a compression test on that cylinder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wasnt riding hard at all. I was doing about 45 going over an overpass and had a loss of power and a trail of smoke from the exhaust. I believe the front cylinder is good but something on the rear is broken bc the oil is only coming from the rear cylinders pipe. The video shows 2 puddles of oil but the second is from an exhaust leak trickling down. I will do a compression test tomorrow

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. Only running on one cylinder.
2. I can hear on the starter what the compression test is going to tell you...no compression on one cylinder.
3. May have dropped a valve. That is what the tapping sounds like. Head, at the minimum, will have to come off for a looksee.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally stopoed crying and went to check out the bike again. Both exhaust pipes have the same low pressure coming out but the rear cylinder one has a small amount of oil coming out. When I started it the bike "sneezed" out white smoke from the top exhaust and puffed a small amount of white smoke while running. The bike just sounds like it has no oil on rear cylinder and low compression. I also lost a quarter tank of gas throghout this whole episode.

·
Registered
918 Posts
OP, how did you purchase this bike? If through a dealer, they should have a 30 day warranty period or an extended warranty you can purchase from them.

EDIT: Just watched the vid and heard you mention you have a warranty, which is good! I doubt you will need a new engine. Possibly new rings and some valve work for the one cylinder. May end up with an entire engine rebuild depending on what the shop says and what the warranty will cover.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I'm comfortable with tools and we have a dealer a few miles away I can bring it to. I did notice that the oil that came from the exhaust is milky as in oil and coolant/water mixed. I'm pulling the spark plug as I type this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i managed to get the plug out and the electrode is completely broken off of it.

Edit: Well not broken just bent all the way over

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, that would explain why the one cylinder isn't firing.

I would take the bike to a shop first and find out what your warranty will cover. In most cases, you will have to pay for the shop to diagnose the bike. The warranty should pick up the rest or, at least, most of it.

From the sound of things, you may have a blown head gasket, possibly a dropped valve, and may have broken piston rings and maybe a damage piston from hitting the spark plug.

I agree with the previous poster, buying an as-is bike usually means it has problems that the shop wants to pass on to another owner.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna call the shop when they open Tuesday but I know they will probably try and brush me off. I put about 300 miles on the bike and thank god I wasnt at work a hour away. I bought the bike from a dealer that 2 1/2 hours away but they have a sister dealer 3 miles away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if I can sort of blackmail them if it doesnt work out. Lol. Idk if buyer guides are required to be posted on used units but mine didnt have it. I know I signed the paper saying I understand that it is being sold as-is but the guide wasnt on the bike and neither was a price

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would say talk to the dealer first. If the dealer refuses to do anything about the bike, then I would file a complaint with the better business bureau. Although, knowing the terms of the deal when you signed may not work in your favor. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the bike? Depending on what ou spent on the bike, it may be cheaper or (close to what you spent) to buy another used one that isn't listed "as-is".

Your best bet is to take advantage of the extended warranty you bought with the bike. I had a 2003 VN750 I had to have warranty work done on. The only portion I had to pay was the diagnosis from the dealer which amounted to ~$90. Other than that, the warranty covered the ~$1000 repair (bad balancer dampeners).

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didnt get a warranty..... I sometimes slur my speach but in the vid I said that I should have got the warranty.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ouch!

When you call the dealership Tuesday, ask about an extended warranty. From my experience they should give you 30 days from the date of purchase to buy one. It may set you back another few hundred dollars, but that should be much easier to handle than the cost of parts and labor to get the bike fixed by a shop.

I really hope the dealer pulls through for you. Maybe there are members near your area who can lend a hand if you decide to rebuild the motor yourself.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts