Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...just changed the oil on my new V2K Classic and found that removing the oil filter was the toughest part. I ended-up using a pair of channel locks to carefully get old one off. But just hand tightened the new filter. Next day...picked up a small cup wrench from napa for $12...problem is, not enough room to get the cup wrench on with the socket drive. Any one else dealt with this issue? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Hey folks...just changed the oil on my new V2K Classic and found that removing the oil filter was the toughest part. I ended-up using a pair of channel locks to carefully get old one off. But just hand tightened the new filter. Next day...picked up a small cup wrench from napa for $12...problem is, not enough room to get the cup wrench on with the socket drive. Any one else dealt with this issue? :rolleyes:
Had the exact same experience on my Nomad. I was able to use the cup with a swivel between the ratchet and the socket but just barely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil filter wrench

Had the exact same experience on my Nomad. I was able to use the cup with a swivel between the ratchet and the socket but just barely.
Hey Jeff....thanks for the reply. I tried a swivel also, and still couldn't get it to clear the radiator case. I ended up buying a "strap" wrench at local auto parts store and it seemed to tighten-up nicely. Of course, I wasn't able to torque it to exact specs. But I think it's close. I'll have to keep on eye-on-it on my first ride. BTW, nice two-tone Nomad.

Brian

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey Jeff....thanks for the reply. I tried a swivel also, and still couldn't get it to clear the radiator case. I ended up buying a "strap" wrench at local auto parts store and it seemed to tighten-up nicely. Of course, I wasn't able to torque it to exact specs. But I think it's close. I'll have to keep on eye-on-it on my first ride. BTW, nice two-tone Nomad.

Brian
There are only four screws holding he radiator bezzle on. Pop it off and a standard oil filter ratchet cup will do the job in a jiffy. Caution.....don't over tighten when you put the new one on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
strap wrench does the job

got 2 strap wrenches as gifts a few years back and deemed them useless but they work great on filters that ya can't quite get to. lot's of room on the Meanstreak but the 2k and my Yamaha Venture require the strap wrench, just gotta be careful when tightening the new filter. also figured out that 3 short pieces of 2x6 (one for kickstand) lift the bike enough so the drain pan fits under the bike, much easier than jacks. felt kinda slow witted since I've been changing oil for many years and just now had the little light come on. better late than never I suppose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you should check into a K&N oil filter. all you need is a box end wrench to remove the filter, makes all the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts