Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to Walmart to stock up on things for my initial maintenance.

Was about to buy Rotella triple protection but saw that the Valvoline Motorcycle Oil was less expensive and figured couldn't hurt to go with that since it was also JSO MA.

Got the FRAM PH6017A (although I was about to get the Purolator which cost half the FRAM).

Got the FRAM Filter Wrench FA102. This was the only one they had in stock and it is adjustable from 64mm to 80mm. Seemed like it should fit.

I get home and try putting the wrench on the filter. Doesn't seem to fit. Positioned it so that the filter grip only goes as far as the ridges and it seems to lock in when turning counter clockwise (loosening), however it doesn't grip at all turning clockwise. The reason I got it was so I could attach my torque wrench to it when tightening, but no luck.

I'm planning on returning this and researching if a filter wrench is even necessary but does anyone have experience using the FA102? Can't even find youtube videos and it doesn't even come up in the FRAM website.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont use a oil filter wrench. When I put a filter on I twisted it down until the rubber gasket barely seats against the the block, then hand twist it 3/4 turn more. It requires a little hand strength but no wrench needed. Never had one come undone either.

When I first bought my 500, I could not get the oil filter off. Instead of buying a filter wrench, I took a long flat blade scrwdriver and punched it through the side of the oild filter. That gave me enough leverage to get it off.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thats why is doesn't grip.It's only locks for removal.You never use a wrench to install a filter. 3/4 turn after gasket makes contact & that's it.Also a thin coat of oil on gasket befor installing. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats why is doesn't grip.It's only locks for removal.You never use a wrench to install a filter. 3/4 turn after gasket makes contact & that's it.Also a thin coat of oil on gasket befor installing. :)
Lol thanks, yes it was opening up wider when I was turning it closed. I'm thinking I'll return the wrench. Can you remove the filter with a rubber glove on your hand? Otherwise maybe it's not bad to keep for $6.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was only planning on cleaning and lubing the chain but once I got into it, I decided to change the oil as well. I bought coolant and dot 4 brake fluid, but my priority will be the rear brake cable (once it arrives) since I think that's all I'll need to do for safety inspection (so I can title and register the bike).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Lol thanks, yes it was opening up wider when I was turning it closed. I'm thinking I'll return the wrench. Can you remove the filter with a rubber glove on your hand? Otherwise maybe it's not bad to keep for $6.
Yes you can if it installed properly. (Not too tight) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends on how long the filter's been on. Even without overtightening the filter, it can be a PITA to remove by hand if it's been on longer than the usual oil change interval.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I went to Walmart to stock up on things for my initial maintenance.

Was about to buy Rotella triple protection but saw that the Valvoline Motorcycle Oil was less expensive and figured couldn't hurt to go with that since it was also JSO MA.

Got the FRAM PH6017A (although I was about to get the Purolator which cost half the FRAM).

Got the FRAM Filter Wrench FA102. This was the only one they had in stock and it is adjustable from 64mm to 80mm. Seemed like it should fit.

I get home and try putting the wrench on the filter. Doesn't seem to fit. Positioned it so that the filter grip only goes as far as the ridges and it seems to lock in when turning counter clockwise (loosening), however it doesn't grip at all turning clockwise. The reason I got it was so I could attach my torque wrench to it when tightening, but no luck.

I'm planning on returning this and researching if a filter wrench is even necessary but does anyone have experience using the FA102? Can't even find youtube videos and it doesn't even come up in the FRAM website.
Rileyyh, there's a nifty little end cap that fits over the small diameter motorcycle oil filters that you can buy at most auto parts stores for $5. A 3/8" drive handle or ratchet fits onto the end of the cap for easy filter removal or install. You can remove and install an oil filter anywhere as long as you have the little cap. I carry one on my 500 all the time. (I also carry a 1/4" ratchet and a 1/4" to 3/8" drive adapter)

This may come in handy one day when you and your bike inadvertently get familiar with each other in a prone position, as I did one day deep in a backwoods trail. Upon righting and re-starting my 500, the engine lost all oil pressure and required "burping". There was no way that oil filter was going to be loosened to do the burp without a filter wrench or that little end cap doohickey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts