Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked all over this forum and kawi forum and have not been able to come across the thread that talked about filters...
Which oil filters work on a 900 besides OEM???

thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oil Filters for VN900:

2.5-inch
Purolator Prue one PL14612
Mobil M-1-108
Bosch 3300

3.5-inch
Purolator PL14610
Mobil 1 M1-110
Bosch 3323
Walmart Supertech ST 6607 (Cheapest)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oil Filter: OEM # 16097-0004

1 Bosch 3300 (one person had leaks/rubbing issues with this filter)
2 K&N 204 (fits, but not K&N recommended replacement part)
3 mobil M1 108
4 Purolator PL 14612
5 Supertech ST6607
6 WIX 81358
7 K&N KN303 (K&N recommended replacement part)
8 Hiflo HF-303 (Hiflo recommended replacement part)
9 Ryco Z436
10 Mazda B6Y1-14-302 (MX-5, 1.8L AUS versions, all years)
11 AmPro Cup Type Oil Filter Wrench 65mm 14 Flute (Do yourself a massive favor and get one of these, especially for the first change when the factory filter is torqued on. Works with standard 3/8" drive rachet.)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Believe it or not, the local Advanced Autos and Auto Zones did not have any filters to fit the VN900. But the local Wal-marts all carry the Fram PH6017A which according to their book, fits the VN900. I put one on this weekend and so far so good. I found it in a black box and it is usually placed a little separate from the rest of the orange box (car) filters on the shelf at Wal-mart. I think it was 6 or 7 bucks. I also got a 5 quart jug of Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) oil for like $25. So far Wally World has the local car and bike shops beat like a drum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Believe it or not, the local Advanced Autos and Auto Zones did not have any filters to fit the VN900. But the local Wal-marts all carry the Fram PH6017A which according to their book, fits the VN900. I put one on this weekend and so far so good. I found it in a black box and it is usually placed a little separate from the rest of the orange box (car) filters on the shelf at Wal-mart. I think it was 6 or 7 bucks. I also got a 5 quart jug of Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) oil for like $25. So far Wally World has the local car and bike shops beat like a drum.
I would double check that the Castrol is the right API spec for bikes (it could be) as most dinosaur oil for cars is not up to bike specs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I went to the Fram website, looked up the P/N and bought one at my local Advance Auto store.
ever hear those stories about Frams? Happened to me in my 74 Javelin (360ci v8)... 0psi no warning. I now use wix (when made in USA, some are not), Baldwin, Hastings, and Fleetgard (cummins) filters.

·
Registered
533 Posts

I find it hard to believe that no one carried any of those filters. The Advance Auto here had 3-4 of them. I'm not one for saving a buck when it comes to oil/filters, so I always get motorcycle specific oil. JMO and I don't care what others say/do, but I would not run cage oil in my motorcycle. There are some even running ROTELLA and claim no trouble, but they change their oil more often than should be necessary. To me, it's a waste, but to each their own.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I find it hard to believe that no one carried any of those filters. The Advance Auto here had 3-4 of them. I'm not one for saving a buck when it comes to oil/filters, so I always get motorcycle specific oil. JMO and I don't care what others say/do, but I would not run cage oil in my motorcycle. There are some even running ROTELLA and claim no trouble, but they change their oil more often than should be necessary. To me, it's a waste, but to each their own.
THIS is why I bought my MC new, not used... and there's probably someone out there that likes to put off-the-shelf additives in their oil... I'm sure that's all good for their clutches...

·
Registered
382 Posts
butchered version of post on another thread....

I'll use these filters
OEM (I don't have PN but I'm sure they know)
Baldwin B1402
Hastings LF240
Fleetgard LF3644
Wix 51356

I won't use these...
Fram, [newer] STP, [newer] Pennzoil, [newer] Quaker State, wal-mart brand... these have been covered in rich's earlier posts, and Fram has been covered on all sorts of rodding sites for a weak inner structure that tends to collapse and cause a 0 oil pressure issue, as well as a much thinner gasket, and smaller oil passage holes in the end cap. Compare Fram to similar Purolator (pure one has a finer media, otherwise same as regular) and you'll know what I mean really fast!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I stay with OEM. It's not that much more than the Fram and Fram is about as bad as it gets. What I would trust that's not OEM would be Wix and K&N. Purolators are also supposed to be decent filters as well... but don't use Fram.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 M-108 to go with the Mobil 1 oil. Yeah, it costs more, but I don't ever skimp on things like that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ever hear those stories about Frams? Happened to me in my 74 Javelin (360ci v8)... 0psi no warning. I now use wix (when made in USA, some are not), Baldwin, Hastings, and Fleetgard (cummins) filters.
Hey Chevelle

You're really bringing me back with that 74 Javelin......Back then, my father worked for American Motors.......We drove all the uncool weird cars back in the 70's.... Gremlins, Pacers (Fish bowl), Matadors..........unfortunately, I never got the Javelin :-(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Chevelle

You're really bringing me back with that 74 Javelin......Back then, my father worked for American Motors.......We drove all the uncool weird cars back in the 70's.... Gremlins, Pacers (Fish bowl), Matadors..........unfortunately, I never got the Javelin :-(
You could make even a pacer cool with a hot 401 under the hood:D ...edit... it would at least be one heck of a sleeper... Gremlins/Hornets and Matadors are pretty cool so long as they have a v8 or built up six underhood...end of edit...

The 258 isn't anything impressive performance wise (stock), but it'd be cool to see one built up with a turbo and such, give the cruise night scene something different to look at.

PM me if you want to chitchat about AMC and stuff, I'm open for good conversation on cars- from history and vintage service manuals to carb jetting to adapting fuel injection and turbos on old engines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have used Fram filters in every vehical I owned and not one problem. And I use Ams- oil motorcycle oil since day one.....well right after the first 500 and I'm at 4500 miles and no probs yet.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have heard that the Wal-Mart filters are made by champion. and they make decent stuff. plus if you get the 7317 from them it is a larger filter so it can do more.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have heard that the Wal-Mart filters are made by champion. and they make decent stuff. plus if you get the 6607 from them it is a larger filter so it can do more.
decent=good enough=there's a lot better.

do you want to date a girl that is ok looking,makes ok food, ok personality...or a girl that's really good looking, makes great food, and has a wonderful personality? Why am I talking about dating in a thread about oil filters? Don't settle for 'decent'.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ah the perfect world senario. Cuz generally the chicks I have encountered that make great food and have wonderful personalities ain't great looking, unless you go for the more is less idea (you know what I'm saying)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have heard that the Wal-Mart filters are made by champion. and they make decent stuff. plus if you get the 7317 from them it is a larger filter so it can do more.
That was a mistake. The 7317 will fit, but it is too long. The regulator is to close now. I thinking of doing something to make it work. I would hate to have to waste a brand new filter. Maybe longer bolts and some spaces to move it out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts