Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change oil on my 2011 Nomad. It's oil filter is quite pricey. Can't find anything less than $30.00. I wonder if there's any substitute ( a car's filter perhaps) I can use available like from Wal-mart or any automotive store that will fit the Nomad? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I use Purolator Pureone #PL1462 on my 1700's, about $7. I use Napa 1394 on my Kawasaki vtwin mowers. Haven't tried the Napa on the 1700 yet but should work. Mobil 1 M1 108 is listed to fit but they are $14. Walmart Supertech #ST6607 should also work.

If you have trouble finding the crush washers Napa part #704-1077 synthetic washer has been working for me.

Edit: #PL14612 I left a "1" out. I changed the oil on my Nomad and mowers today and the Napa 1394 has the wrong threads.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bosch 3320/3323 work well. Used on my Victory and on my Voyager... Should fit the Nomad. 3323 is longer.... Black in color, Peel off label and it hides well.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow----$30 for a filter. Hmmm you can do much better.
Other than what they suggested above, I use K&N-303.
It even has a wrench nut on the end.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Bosch 3320/3323 work well. Used on my Victory and on my Voyager... Should fit the Nomad. 3323 is longer.... Black in color, Peel off label and it hides well.
That is one drawback to the Purolator it is gold but you have to be looking for it to see it on a 1700

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Fram Filters?

Fram PH6017A
Even though Fram filters are popular and cheep at Wal-Mart, from the reviews I read a while back, I wouldn't use them on a lawn mower. I read that they tend to collapse and bypass. Maybe they are better now IDK. I think being cheep is what makes them so popular. I use the K&N 303 or an Amsoil on my Voyager. I like the nut on the K&N. I also have a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 SE, and ditto on that too.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Keep shopping. I get Amsoil filters for less than that, Kawasaki OEM for like $12.

Just a general FYI. Some guys adamantly disagree with this; and are convinced it's hooey. I'll let you make your own decision. But Purolator and other companies do NOT suggest using those car filters on your bike. I dunno about you; but when it comes to my several-thousand dollar bike, I don't want to put a filter made by someone who says "Don't put this on your bike" just to save a few dollars. But it's your bike, your money.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Keep shopping. I get Amsoil filters for less than that, Kawasaki OEM for like $12.

Just a general FYI. Some guys adamantly disagree with this; and are convinced it's hooey. I'll let you make your own decision. But Purolator and other companies do NOT suggest using those car filters on your bike. I dunno about you; but when it comes to my several-thousand dollar bike, I don't want to put a filter made by someone who says "Don't put this on your bike" just to save a few dollars. But it's your bike, your money.
Do your own research and make your own decision. Some of the common arguments about not using "recommended" filters are by pass pressure, or your bike is under warranty and if you have motor problems you will be in a world of hurt. But some of the arguments on the other side is, it cost more to do those testing to be approved for motorcycle use, or it threads up seals you will be ok.

Personally I use ones that are "recommended" because in the amount of $$$ saved is not really that much. Now if you want to discuss things like doing your own servicing and changing your own tires. That is where the savings is at, if it is worth your time. I am all about saving $$$ but I don't believe in tripping over dollars to pick up pennies either.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Being a lazy bastard, I like the K&N Filters purely because of that wrench nut.
I used them on my Yamaha ATV for that exact reason. Either pull have the plastic off the side of the ATV. Only had to remove one piece, but to remove that one piece you had to remove another and so on. The OEM filter was a regular one, but after seeing it I got a K&N just because of that nut. It was like the built the ATV around the oil filter :D

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Being a lazy bastard, I like the K&N Filters purely because of that wrench nut.

Your not being lazy, I see it as being a smart shady tree mechanic.
-------(like me)--------

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's a thought. Kawasaki oil filters are made for Kawasaki by the lowest bidder. Caveat emptor. Just saying.....
Very oversimplified, not quite how it really works. To compare OEM to aftermarket just look at some of the part numbers. You will see at times the OEM calls for part #1 for one bike, #2 for this one, and #3 for another. You will see some aftermarket filters that call for the same filter for all 3 bikes. Does the aftermarket know something the original manufacturer doesnt? Or are they just cutting production cost by looking at a spec sheet, calling it close enough, and not having to produce a new filter that actually fits correctly. You will also find some aftermarket companies that also call for 3 different filters for said bikes, companies like Wix. Companies like that are usually the OEM supplier, and usually have been for a long time. The 1 part number fits all companies are not and never will be OE suppliers for a reason, oddly they usually cost more too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
IMO...I think oil and oil filters are all overrated. I've tried the so called best and found it was really no different than the rest. lol!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts