Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever did the service on my wife's 900LT must have gorilla arms because the oil filter is on so tight I can't get it loose. Any suggestions here? I have two different filter wrenches--one plastic and the other steel. They're the kind that slip on over the end of the filter and you use a 3/8" ratchet to remove or install the filter. Both of them just slip over the flat spots on the end of the filter. It's an OEM filter. I suspect that the steel one may be a hair too large, but the plastic one seems to be the right size, but the plastic just slips around and won't budge it loose. Need some help as I have drained all the oil out of the bike, so it can't be used until I get the new filter on. Thanx.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can try wrapping some duct tape around the filter to increase it's circumference so your wrench has a tighter fit. I had to use a large pair of channel lock pliers (very carefully) to remove my OEM filter on the first oil change.
Good luck!

·
Registered
950 Posts
You might run down to Walmart and get the "Plier" type filter wrench (I did already). 2d option is to ram a big screwdriver through the filter on both sides, giving you a "T" handle. (worked on a Buick). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try wrapping some duct tape around the filter to increase it's circumference so your wrench has a tighter fit. I had to use a large pair of channel lock pliers (very carefully) to remove my OEM filter on the first oil change.
Good luck!
Thanx. Never thought about the duct tape thing. I'll give that a try.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Whoever did the service on my wife's 900LT must have gorilla arms because the oil filter is on so tight I can't get it loose. Any suggestions here? I have two different filter wrenches--one plastic and the other steel. They're the kind that slip on over the end of the filter and you use a 3/8" ratchet to remove or install the filter. Both of them just slip over the flat spots on the end of the filter. It's an OEM filter. I suspect that the steel one may be a hair too large, but the plastic one seems to be the right size, but the plastic just slips around and won't budge it loose. Need some help as I have drained all the oil out of the bike, so it can't be used until I get the new filter on. Thanx.
Buy a chain wrench or a strap wrench or as suggested (if you don't mind oil all over your hands) hammer a screwdriver thru the filter.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You might run down to Walmart and get the "Plier" type filter wrench (I did already). 2d option is to ram a big screwdriver through the filter on both sides, giving you a "T" handle. (worked on a Buick). Good luck.
Respectfully, DON'T TRY THE SCREWDRIVER SUGGESTION!, DON'T ask me how I know. I came VERY close to having the nine trailered to the shop...

I used the rubber matting that you lay down in cupboards so the dishes etc...won't slip....duct tape won't work (too slippery).
Ultimately, I bought a strap wrench.....u loop the strap around the filter..and use a socket wrench to twist the filter off.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I also tried the screwdriver trick without success. I mangled the filter pretty good but never got it loose. I was about to give up when I found an old rusty pair of channel lock pliers that did the trick.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I use one of these, works like a champ.

I third or fourth these...

Anyway, I'd like to address the Gorilla who put that filter on... I've been doing oil changes professionally and for myself for years, and believe I have a pretty even-keeled hand-snug technique - but on this Kawasaki of mine, the last two filters that I personally put on I could not twist back off without great difficulty. I know how tightly I put them on - especially after going through what I did to remove both the filter it came with and the first filter I put on it. I don't understand it, but it really seems to me that - unlike any vehicle I have ever changed oil on - the filters on this bike have become much tighter than when I put them on.

Perhaps it has something to do with the properties of newer oil-filter-gasket materials - are they swelling up after exposure to heat or oil to create an even better seal? :confused:

I don't know, but I do know that I no longer blame the previous owner of having gorilla arms or a bad technique of putting oil filters on the bike. :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use one of these, works like a champ.

ditto... works awesome. My first oil change was ridiculous, the thing must have been put on by a gorilla. First I tried the filter wrench I had, no joy, then I managed to mangle the filter with a screwdriver before I went out and bought the tool above.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the duct tape thing and it worked well. Filter off and new one screwed on in place, new oil added and everything buttoned up. Thanx for the suggestions. Oh, and I made sure to put oil on the rubber gasket and not over tighten it. Next time will be much easier. And I'll be visiting Sears to pick up one of those universal oil filter wrenches.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I don't understand it, but it really seems to me that - unlike any vehicle I have ever changed oil on - the filters on this bike have become much tighter than when I put them on.
You're not crazy - I have the same problem with my '07 Classic. The filter goes on by hand, just tight enough to stay on and seal properly. When it comes time for the oil change, the damn thing won't come off without a half-hour struggle. I've tried OEM, Walmart, and Mobil filters and they all get stuck on there.

Joe

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What I use. Same one fits all my vehicles these days....cars, truck, motorcycles.

http://www.wrenches.com/wrench-types/oil-filter-wrenches/
That must be a mighty small truck motor... lol. That old-style metal-strap wrench comes in a number of sizes and I've never owned one that did all my vehicles.

You're not crazy - I have the same problem with my '07 Classic. The filter goes on by hand, just tight enough to stay on and seal properly. When it comes time for the oil change, the damn thing won't come off without a half-hour struggle. I've tried OEM, Walmart, and Mobil filters and they all get stuck on there.

Joe
Thank you, Joe - I was just about to turn myself in to the funny-farm for therapy %P

1 - 20 of 37 Posts