Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many differing opinions on which oil filter is best to use for the Vulcan 900. I run Mobil 10w40 Racing 4T oil and OEM filter and just recently switched to the FRAM PH6017A. I've used FRAM filters on my cars for years and figured should be good for the bike. I've read many negatives about the FRAM. The K&N 303 looks good too but I don't think it will fit behind the voltage regulator. The Mobil 1 filters suggested are hard to find except for online.
Bottom line, which filter is best, is the FRAM really that bad? :confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have a K&N303 on my bike as we speak. You'll appreciate the 11/16" nut on the bottom. Frams are cheap and not that well made. The K&Ns are good as are Wic's and Kawasaki filters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
FRAM sucks big donkey cahonas...in my honest opinion..they are the cheapest crappy filter out there. KN is good, Mobil or Bosch is great as well. I used Mobil M110. Big capacity filter....good filter.

take apart a fram and you will see why i dont use it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. I prefer the K&N, construction is solid, filter media designed to work with synthetic oils, and a name you can trust. My only concern is the filter size, I measured the fit and the 85mm is awful close to the regulator. The KN-204 is smaller and according to the cross ref. fits the VN-800 while the 303 is suppose to fit the VN-900.
The Mobil filters are not designed for motorcycles and their own warning states that they should not be used on bikes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I prefer the K&N, construction is solid, filter media designed to work with synthetic oils, and a name you can trust. My only concern is the filter size, I measured the fit and the 85mm is awful close to the regulator. The KN-204 is smaller and according to the cross ref. fits the VN-800 while the 303 is suppose to fit the VN-900.
The Mobil filters are not designed for motorcycles and their own warning states that they should not be used on bikes.
The K&N-303 will fit the 900 nicely. That's what I use....:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts