Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my previous bikes I have been able to find a non-dealer oil filter for at my local parts house. I had the dealer do the last oil change along with the scheduled maintenance, but I am now taking care of that myself. Does anyone know what oil filter fits on the 900??? I will probably go with the Mobil 1 v-twin oil.
I don't want to start any arguments, but is there a particular flavor that ya'll have found works better for the 900's???

Thanks!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
To me a filter is just a filter so as long as is design for motorcycle use then go for it. Some use STP, Fram and other car filters but I've been told the pressure oil of a bike is different than the one from a vehicle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use Mobile1 myself and love it. Mobile1 M1-108 filter, and mobile1 20/50 synthetic v-twin oil.

·
Registered
455 Posts
+ 1 on the 6607 SuperTech. Been using them in Jet Ski for 4 years, 3rd one is on my 900 now. Found out about it from a Jet Ski site, that had the link to a filter test. Was better rated than most, equal to many.

A lot of posts on the oil issue. Do a search to get the details. But, I was convinced to use the Mobil1 4T Racing oil.

·
Registered
782 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum you have this option from PC Racing. See link. The you-tube video on this page is a good way to see what it is all about. I am not usually a big fan of this kind of upgrade, but honestly, this seems pretty cool. It is still kinda pricey and wouldn't start saving money until about 50k-75k miles depending on how often you change your oil. But I do think it is probably a better filter than what you can buy from Mobil or STP, etc.

http://pcracingusa.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=139

PS- No I don't work for these guys, I just came across it on the web a few days back and thought it was kinda cool and worth sharing on the forum.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like some of what this guy found

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

I'm now running the super teck st6607 after reading his filter surgery & other stuff.He doesn't think very highly of the filter you posted Jeep,he talks about that in the all about filters part.

I think he has me half convinced on using synthetic,think I'll stick with my rotella t 15 -40 W/stp in the summer but will switch to rotella 5-40 for colder weather riding @ least a try.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
+1 on the supertech. I used the below article, and a couple of others, and found that the supertech line always go great results. It's not the absolute best, but far from the worst, and ranks equally to a lot of the big name filters out there, so I nabbed one with my last change.

Plus, you'll be very hard pressed to beat the price!

I like some of what this guy found

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

I'm now running the super teck st6607 after reading his filter surgery & other stuff.He doesn't think very highly of the filter you posted Jeep,he talks about that in the all about filters part.

I think he has me half convinced on using synthetic,think I'll stick with my rotella t 15 -40 W/stp in the summer but will switch to rotella 5-40 for colder weather riding @ least a try.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
All of my previous bikes I have been able to find a non-dealer oil filter for at my local parts house. I had the dealer do the last oil change along with the scheduled maintenance, but I am now taking care of that myself. Does anyone know what oil filter fits on the 900??? I will probably go with the Mobil 1 v-twin oil.
I don't want to start any arguments, but is there a particular flavor that ya'll have found works better for the 900's???

Thanks!!
I use the K&N #303. They have a good reputation so I figure it's gonna do what it's suppose to do. Besides I've been using K&N products for ten years and haven't wiped a bearing yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Pure One 14612, changed every 3K, with Amsoil changed in the fall after a summer's riding.

·
Registered
742 Posts
bosch 3300 ... a slight bit longer so the rectifier needs to be shimmed out but it worked fine after the shim!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah I have used the Supertech for awhile. They have one that fits our bike that is longer, so it has more capacity. It's made for a 2.0l 4 cylinder car. And since our bike holds alot of oil it can't hurt. But like the Bosch one that was mentioned you have to space out the rectifier.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yeah I have used the Supertech for awhile. They have one that fits our bike that is longer, so it has more capacity. It's made for a 2.0l 4 cylinder car. And since our bike holds alot of oil it can't hurt. But like the Bosch one that was mentioned you have to space out the rectifier.
Keep in mind the filters for cars are designed around an oil pump that puts out a lot more pressure than a motorcycle pump does. Can you be sure the pump can overcome the element's restrictions and still get plenty of oil to the parts that need it? Size isn't everything, or so I'm told.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Lots of great info Huys.THANKS!! I originally had the dealer do the 1st oil change along with the vavle check and all of that inital stuff for a new bike, so this time I just bought the filter and oil from the dealer. $43 !!!! :eek: Dang!! That's only $5 less than the oil filter and 3 GALLONS of oil for my truck!!!!!
Next time I will certainly be going aftermarket for oil and Filter!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
WOW! Lots of great info Huys.THANKS!! I originally had the dealer do the 1st oil change along with the vavle check and all of that inital stuff for a new bike, so this time I just bought the filter and oil from the dealer. $43 !!!! :eek: Dang!! That's only $5 less than the oil filter and 3 GALLONS of oil for my truck!!!!!
Next time I will certainly be going aftermarket for oil and Filter!!!
40 bones IS a little steep! :eek:

I used to read articles on the V-Rod forums about how you HAD to run THIS filter and THAT oil in your scoot - complete with white papers that a nuclear physicist couldn't figure out. MY humble opinion (worth nearly nothing) is that if you buy a decent filter, and change your oil every season or every few thousand miles - you're just not going to have an issue.
If you feel that you HAVE to run synthetic (I do in my V-Rod...for now) then I like Mobile-1 VT. You can get it in nearly ANY store - and at $10/qt it's probably not going to break the bank.
However (comma) I'm probably going to continue to run dino-earl in my 900...and I might just change back to running the same in my Harley.
I just haven't seen/heard/felt the difference in paying 3-4 times mas much for synthetic...and I doubt I'll ever rack up 100,000 miles between both bikes to validate any longevity claims with the designer lubricants out there.

JMHO - :cool:

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I mounted the Pure One PL14612 I had to put a 1/4 inch flat washer at each bolt under the rectifier mount.

·
Registered
451 Posts
When researching the Pure One filter, I read the bit about not using car filters on motorcycles.

Here are the results--
VN900 uses constant displacement lobe pump, just like many cars.

VN900 has oil pump spec of 43-57 psi, just like many cars.
Pure One 14612 filter has a bypass valve spec of 14-18 psi.

Oil schematic for VN900 engine shows oil pressure switch downstream from the oil filter. If oil can't get past the filter, you'll know it, because your oil pressure light will stay lit.

Here's the cool part--I had no trouble finding the filter efficiency and bypass valve spec for the PL14612, but I couldn't find any specs at all for the Purolator MC filter, just the picture of the nice chorme plated filter. Zip, zilch, nada.

In other words, after discouraging me from buying a car filter for my bike because it's spec'ed for a car, they don't show me the specs for the bike filter so I can make my own decision.

Methinks their motive is to A, aviod frivolous lawsuits, and B, sell me a ten dollar filter instead of a five dollar filter--twice as much money for them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used to always run that Bosch 3300 on my VN750, but then reading all the stuff about car filters on a bike made me think again for the 900. (I've even got a "leftover" Bosch 3300 now that I'll probably never use, and it does seem too long for the job. Glad you were able to make it fit, jagered.)

So, for only about $8/ea., I started using the Hiflo Filtro 303. It's a motorcycle-specific filter, apparently is highly rated, and Hiflo actually makes these for K&N. My local trusted shop recommended this one to me and that's what got me started with it. So far no problems, but then I had no problems that I could detect with the Bosch either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts