Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched almost every post before writing this one and can not find anything on it. Does anybody know what after market oil filters can be used on 2015 Voyager 1700? Even the auto part stores didn't know. (Not the sharpest marbles in the bag where I live %P) Thanks for your help. Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
A Bosch 3323 fits from my 05 800 through my 12 Voyager, including the 1500s and 1600s. Cant see its changed for 2015, but cant swear to it. This is a longer filter than stock, use it on both of my bikes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use a Mobil 1 M1-110 on my Voyager. It is much bigger than the OEM filter and holds more dirt and oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K&N Filter part number KN-303. Or K&N KN-303c if you want the filter in chrome.
That's the one I was looking at, but they want $16.00 for it. I thought that was way to much for a filter. That was the 303 not even the 303c. I'll see if I can find it at Amazon. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's strange. I just checked for the BOSCH 3323 and the Mobil 1 M1-110 and they both say "This does not fit your 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS". I even tried it as a 2014 just to see if it was because they didn't update their list for the 2015 and still said does not fit. That's on Amazon.com

·
Registered
580 Posts
The stock OEM oil filter on all the 1700 engines 2009 - 2015 is the same as my 1500 Classic and the 900 Classic (pic below). I crawled under a 2015 Vaquero and Voyager and found the same fllter number on both. I found the included cross reference by doing a search for that filter number. I've been using the 3.25 Mobil 1 M1 110 in the middle column for quite a while now just because it's a bit longer

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock OEM oil filter on all the 1700 engines 2009 - 2015 is the same as my 1500 Classic and the 900 Classic (pic below). I crawled under a 2015 Vaquero and Voyager and found the same fllter number on both. I found the included cross reference by doing a search for that filter number. I've been using the 3.25 Mobil 1 M1 110 in the middle column for quite a while now just because it's a bit longer
This was VERY helpful. I will be changing the oil first thing tomorrow and getting that FRAM filter off. I should've known better and not asked the guy that works for the auto parts store. It's so sad that you can't even get the right answer from the people that work in a place that sells auto parts. Thanks again. This is the only place I'm asking anything anymore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm more surprised that you aren't willing to pay 16 dollars for a part that will insure the life of your 20k dollar bike than you are upset about the fact that someone doesn't know the exact filter for every car/truck/motorcycle sold over the last 50 years....glad you found the right part though, just busting your chops

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I would stay away from the $16 K&N. It is the bottom of a beer can with a cupcake holder in it. If you don't believe me, run one for an oil cycle then cut it in half.

The wrench fitting on the end is handy but the filter media is suspect.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bosch here. Used them on my Kingpin (56k miles) and every other bike I have owned. 3323 fits on the Voyager just fine. the label peels off and the black filter just hides well.

gb

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would stay away from the $16 K&N. It is the bottom of a beer can with a cupcake holder in it. The wrench fitting on the end is handy but the filter media is suspect.
Do you have any evidence to back up this claim. K&N has been in business for years, being very successful in the racing industry, etc. I'm fairly certain that if their products were of such poor quality as you describe that word of mouth alone would put them out of business. I, along with countless others are using K&N air filters and have nothing but good things to say about the product quality. That being said, they must be used and maintained properly in order to perform properly and protect your engine.....just my opinion :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm more surprised that you aren't willing to pay 16 dollars for a part that will insure the life of your 20k dollar bike than you are upset about the fact that someone doesn't know the exact filter for every car/truck/motorcycle sold over the last 50 years....glad you found the right part though, just busting your chops
lol it's not that I mind paying it, but if I can pay a lot less for the same thing why not. Know what I mean. Trust me, it isn't that they don't know every filter for every bike made, 9 out of 10 of them couldn't tell you what the right oil filter goes in a 2015 Ford F-150 even after looking it up on the computer that tells them what the right one is. It's that bad lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bosch here. Used them on my Kingpin (56k miles) and every other bike I have owned. 3323 fits on the Voyager just fine. the label peels off and the black filter just hides well.

gb
Yea I think that's the one I'm going to try since it's the easiest one to get here. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just my 2 cents but I would stay away from the $16 K&N. It is the bottom of a beer can with a cupcake holder in it. If you don't believe me, run one for an oil cycle then cut it in half.

The wrench fitting on the end is handy but the filter media is suspect.
I've heard that about Fram, but not about K&N. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
i run the K&N 303 on my voyager. (Bike had a Fram on it when I bought it new-to-me last year not that it matters). I researched a lot before doing the first oil change on it a week or two after I got the bike and the K&N was the tops of the research list. yes it costs more. But to me is well worth the little extra for a peace of mind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I purchased my 2015 the dealership asked if I would be doing my own oil changes. I told him yes and he said to make sure that I used the Kawasaki oil filter so their would be no warranty issues.

I don't believe that would hold up unless the oil filter failed and caused the damage.

They only cost 12.99 at my local Kawasaki dealership here in town which is cheaper then I thought they would be. I would rather spend the money for a better and/or larger filter then use the OEM filter from China.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I have used the Wix 51358 on my 2012 Voyager the 3 times I've changed the oil. They're available at NAPA auto parts and I'm sure other places too. When I started my search for a quality oil filter, this is one of the filters that was recommended. I think the NAPA Gold 1358 is similar.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do you have any evidence to back up this claim. K&N has been in business for years, being very successful in the racing industry, etc. I'm fairly certain that if their products were of such poor quality as you describe that word of mouth alone would put them out of business. I, along with countless others are using K&N air filters and have nothing but good things to say about the product quality. That being said, they must be used and maintained properly in order to perform properly and protect your engine.....just my opinion :)
Quality of the product has nothing to do with it. The K&N filters work as advertized. They allow less restricted flow. The only way to accomplish that is to have less or more porous filter media.

Like you I had used there products on many different high performance vehicles in the past. A few years ago I started reading results of independent testers comparing the major brands and K&N was consistently at or near the bottom on the most important function of a filter which is to remove unwanted particulates.

This may not be a problem in a go fast go hard toy but on a heavy and by nature lumbering cruiser what is the point anyway?

I get that some want to tweak every once of performance out of what ever they motor on or in. It is your stuff do with it what you like. Not everyone has done the reading to know the down side to performance upgrades. They are the people I was trying to giving another side of the coin view to.

As to my description of the beer can with a cupcake holder in it, I walked into a local parts store a few years ago and they had a cutaway display of the most popular brands. They were displayed from left to right. Best to worst and the K&N was the last on the right. Even the lowly Fram(which I went through many of in my younger and cheaper days) looked much better.

To be honest it was a little thicker than a paper cupcake wrapper. Maybe like two of them stuck together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts