Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
Been lurking for a long time...finaly pulled the trigger and scored an 07 classic. Plain jane with a short sissy bar. Long commute to work so on went Memphis Shades Fats 19", Cobra highway bar, Willie and max American Classic bags with thier universal mounts.
Any how, need to drop the oil and I was wondering if there are any cross references to filters other than the Kawi filter.
Pics at some point, 5 kids so time is not my friend.
Thanks in advance! Eric

·
Registered
39 Posts
The wix site and puro site have lookups for bikes ,have a wix on mine I would go look at the # but am at the lake .
I hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
walmart super tech ST6607, that's the short one, the long one (different number) will not clear the rectifier on the 900. been there, done that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Everybody,
Been lurking for a long time...finaly pulled the trigger and scored an 07 classic. Plain jane with a short sissy bar. Long commute to work so on went Memphis Shades Fats 19", Cobra highway bar, Willie and max American Classic bags with thier universal mounts.
Any how, need to drop the oil and I was wondering if there are any cross references to filters other than the Kawi filter.
Pics at some point, 5 kids so time is not my friend.
Thanks in advance! Eric
Have a look here for whatever you need...

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17658

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for quick replies! I was hoping for one I could get at Wally World. Thanks again! Eric

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Recently someone posted a link to an oil filter comparison that showed detailed teardowns of filters. I thought I had bookmarked the page, but I was wrong. I ran a couple of searches here but couldn't find. If anyone knows the URL, please re-post it in this thread. I have been using Fram filters from Walmart, but after seeing that site I'll be switching. Problem is, without the link, I don't know what I'll be switching to.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Never mind. I found it right after that post. Eric359, check this out before purchasing a filter. http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/ Also, I should mention that if you use a cap type filter wrench (the only kind I've found that works on this bike), an after market filter may take a different cap than the OEM. I currently have 2 caps, one for when I need to remove a dealer filter and another to remove the Frams I've been using. Might need a 3rd when I change brands!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never mind. I found it right after that post. Eric359, check this out before purchasing a filter. http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/ Also, I should mention that if you use a cap type filter wrench (the only kind I've found that works on this bike), an after market filter may take a different cap than the OEM. I currently have 2 caps, one for when I need to remove a dealer filter and another to remove the Frams I've been using. Might need a 3rd when I change brands!
Yes, an interesting read for sure. That guy creamed Fram, but are their filters really all that bad? I have used them in the cars for over 20 years and now I started using them for the 900 too. It is one of their heavier-duty version (ToughGuard or whatever they call it). They have them at Walmart for like $6 in the motorcycle section. I compared it to the SuperTech (which is like $2.50 or so) and the Fram seems to be better built -- looking from the outside at least.

Even the surgery like that guy performed tells us very probably little about their actual particle-trapping abilities. Who knows...

·
Registered
782 Posts
This data just happened to be on another thread on this same page lower down. The one with the title 100% fits Vulcan 900.

Oil Filter: OEM # 16097-0004
1 Bosch 3300 (one person had leaks/rubbing issues with this filter)
2 K&N 204 (fits, but not K&N recommended replacement part)
3 mobil M1 108
4 Purolator PL 14612
5 Supertech ST6607
6 WIX 81358
7 K&N KN303 (K&N recommended replacement part)
8 Hiflo HF-303 (Hiflo recommended replacement part)
9 Ryco Z436
10 Mazda B6Y1-14-302 (MX-5, 1.8L AUS versions, all years)
11 AmPro Cup Type Oil Filter Wrench 65mm 14 Flute (Do yourself a massive favor and get one of these, especially for the first change when the factory filter is torqued on. Works with standard 3/8" drive rachet.)

As for Fram being a bad filter, I have also used them on cars and my bike. However, the last time I replaced my filter, the Hiflo Filtro was the same price at Ride Now Powersports as the Fram cost at Walmart. So I went with the HF-303. But since filters are throw-away parts, there is something to be said for not over engineering them. I honestly don't think you will ever harm you engine by using a Fram filter as long as you change your oil regularly. So if the Fram does the job, is it really worth paying 2-3 times as much for a filter that really gives you no more "actual" value? It is sort of like using a 2" diameter 10,000 pound test rope to hold a child's tire swing. The perception is that stronger is better. But the actual truth is that the swing will never see more than 500 lbs even with chubby old grandaddy on it. So a simple 1/2" nylon braid will do the job for a fraction of the price. I know this may be an over simplification, but can anyone here say that they used a Fram filter and it ruined their engine? Hope I don't sound like a Fram filter rep. I'm not. I just have never understood how people get so vehiment about oil filters. Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok, i get crazy about crap like this. i just did an oil change and used a fram filter. does anybody know if you can swap out the filter without losing all your oil? i just put synthetic rotella in it. or should i just calm down and go the distance with the fram.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Run what ya got then next time get the cheaper better super tech. The only thing about the fram is they use cardboard on the ends instead of steal like most. Probably only one failed out of ten million & that's what all the concern is about.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This data just happened to be on another thread on this same page lower down. The one with the title 100% fits Vulcan 900.

Oil Filter: OEM # 16097-0004
1 Bosch 3300 (one person had leaks/rubbing issues with this filter)
Hmmm... I'm not so sure the Bosch 3300 "100% fits" well. Since I used 'em on my previous bike (Vulcan 750), I still have an extra one in the garage here. Tried to fit it on the 900 but it's too long so I didn't use it after all. Maybe it could be made to fit in an emergency but it's not my first choice anymore. Just sayin'...

Now I use the Hi-Flo 303 that my wrench recommended. Motorcycle-specific, made to withstand the higher pressures, etc. About $8 around here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't mean to start a dust-up over filters! Been on the street, on bikes of all makes and types since '76...my .02 is people get very anal and over think the oil and oil filter thing. Change them both regularly and it is not a problem. If you suck a valve or spin a bearing, 99.99999% chance it wasn't the filter! That said, Thanks for the info and cross refrences, it is exactly what I needed!
Have a great day everyone and keep the greasy side down!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey Forest, if the data on the chart is not right, I'm sorry. I just copied it from a thread on here and that was copied from another forum altogether. I hate to give anyone bad info. Thanks for speaking up on the possible size issue.

Also, of note is the K&N. I know it comes with that little nut welded to the end. I have heard some people say that there is a clearance issue with the rectifier. Never tried it myself, but you know how rumors are. Sometimes they're true.

Out of curiosity, are Hi-flo & K&N the same company? It is awful funny how they have such similar part numbers for their filters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Clearance no issue at all

No idea about being the same company but the nut has plenty of clearance on the 900 Custom I do not believe there is any difference with the LT in that location.

Also, of note is the K&N. I know it comes with that little nut welded to the end. I have heard some people say that there is a clearance issue with the rectifier. Never tried it myself, but you know how rumors are. Sometimes they're true.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hmmm... I'm not so sure the Bosch 3300 "100% fits" well. Since I used 'em on my previous bike (Vulcan 750), I still have an extra one in the garage here. Tried to fit it on the 900 but it's too long so I didn't use it after all. Maybe it could be made to fit in an emergency but it's not my first choice anymore. Just sayin'...

Now I use the Hi-Flo 303 that my wrench recommended. Motorcycle-specific, made to withstand the higher pressures, etc. About $8 around here.
It's hard to believe there is that much difference from bike to bike, I've used the bosch 3300 the last two oil changes on my LT. No clearance issues at all.

I just dug this thread up again because I was thinking about trying the kn-303 but I am concerned about the nut hitting the rectifier. That little nut would sure make it easier to get the filter off. You'd think after owning this bike for two years I'd have found a good filter wrench by now. I just never think about it until I'm on my back removing the filter. Guess I'm just a glutten for punishment!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fram is fine. But ST6607 is better...it's made by Champion as has a high rating and cost $2.80 at Wally World. The oil guy give it high marks. You can't beat that with a stick..........Cheapppppppppppppp Goooooooooooooooooooooood.......

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Fram is fine. But ST6607 is better...it's made by Champion as has a high rating and cost $2.80 at Wally World. The oil guy give it high marks. You can't beat that with a stick..........Cheapppppppppppppp Goooooooooooooooooooooood.......
+1, Supertech (Wal Mart) ST6607 is what I run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our local Wal Mart doesn't carry the ST6607 but it does carry Motorcycle specific Fram filters, the 900 takes the PH6017A

1 - 20 of 25 Posts