1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My bike is a 2010 900 LT

Doing my first oil change at 600 miles.

My drain bolt seems to be a 19mm...everything I read on the web seems to say it should be 17mm????

Can anyone confirm this??

Going back under the bike now to snoop around.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Been a couple years since I saw mine, but I recall it being a 17mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big trouble...pulled the (19mm) drain plug and it's marked 1/2-20 on the cap, so, not even metric.

This bike has had an oil drip as long as I've owned it. I took a gamble on it on ebay as a salvage bike out of Montana with only 25 miles on it.

Anyone know the proper specs for a 900 oil drain screw?

I've got a feeling it may be stripped or something.

I'm probably screwed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a 17mm head size originally.Will the bolt you took out tighten back up?
Since it's a 1/2-20 bolt I don't want to put it back in. I could almost have loosened it out by hand.

I need to find the specs of the factory drain bolt and figure out what's going on here.

I'll bet it's going to get expensive.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with a Kawi parts guy and the specs for the drain bolt should be 12mm-15 so it must have been stripped.

He says to just go ahead and reuse what I've got and I don't see many other options...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes,it would appear the hole was stripped and re-threaded.If the current drain plug bolt tightens properly it will be your best bet to just continue to use it .If it does not tighten and continues to drip oil that is a different ball game.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help.

Like I said in an earlier post, I've always had the oil drip issue and was hoping it was an absent crush washer causing it.

Anyone know if a person can use teflon tape on the drain plug or something similar to help with the oil drip problem?

Happy to hear any of your thoughts.

Might just sell this POS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine definitely has a 17mm bolt. It must have gotten stripped and retapped. Teflon tape might work but I'd add a nylon/teflon/plastic washer as well. How bad an oil leak does it have? I'd certainly try this before I gave up on it. You might also try putting some "Permatex" type material on the bolt.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Anyone know if a person can use teflon tape on the drain plug or something similar to help with the oil drip problem?
Teflon wouldn't last I reckon. Why not try the old style plumbing sealer (hemp & paste) which looks like unravelled rope threads? Don't know if you can buy it anymore but rope material (not synthetic) should be a reasonable substitute.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
911jeep

Take the bolt you now have for the drain plug and get a flat rubber washer of two to fit it. That will help the bolt tighten some and also help fill/plug the drain hole. Also at one time I remember seeing (years ago) a rubber plug that will fit the drain hole and has a small Allen head screw in it. Insert the plug and tighten the Allen head screw/bolt. The rubber expands until the drain hole if plugged and no more leaks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
yeah, that drainhole is shot. and that 1/2" plug will probably always drip. an expansion plug like Dean suggested might work.

Replacing the pan is not really an option since there isn't a pan, so to speak. Just crankcase halves. You might be able to tap the hole out to a 14mm for a 14mmx1.5 or something (very common with lots of low-clearance plug options), but you'd have to take care to get the metal bits back out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Helicoil. Repair it and use a proper plug with a proper crush washer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts