Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to pick up a "05" 1600 Nomad tonight. I was told by a mechanic that the 1600 consumes oil at a rate of about 1qt per 1000miles. He says it doesn't leak it just disappears and advised me to carry a qt. of oil with me on trips. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have a comment about this?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's one of the dumbest things I've read. LOL I'd stay away from that so called mechanic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back. I ride a 900 now and have wanted to move up to a little more power for when I am in the mountains. I thought it sounded strange. Maybe its because his shop pushes Hondas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I bring this bike home tonight I want to put a light bar on it. Do I need to worry about over amp draw on the alternator?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Light bar should be fine from what I've read. I moved from the 900 to the 1600 also, much better on the hiway

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. I ride a 900 now and have wanted to move up to a little more power for when I am in the mountains. I thought it sounded strange. Maybe its because his shop pushes Hondas
I had a 800 and moved up to a 1500...love the upgrade. That mechanic must of had a customer that had oil issues and the mechanic got baffled and couldn't fix it so now is making dumb statements to try and save face. :D

If I bring this bike home tonight I want to put a light bar on it. Do I need to worry about over amp draw on the alternator?
My 15 has double stators and so should that 16 so you'll be ok with extra lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bummer! We couldn't come to terms on a price. I came home empty handed. It sure rode nice though. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this 05 1600 Nomad I looked at is fuel injected but had a choke. What's up with that? I didn't think you needed a choke unless it was carbureted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea, It had me wondering before I bought mine.
It's a manual fast idle control, I don't know why they used a choke symbol on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
The quart per thousand for oil consumption is a very generic OE cop out for "within normal range" for oil use. Most have it buried somewhere in service info, same with car companies, it is pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Output is 42A x 14V @6000 RPM so it will handle a light bar easily. What you need to watch out for is if you run a lot of heated gear, GPS, cellphone charger and light bar all at the same time.

·
Banned
179 Posts
So this 05 1600 Nomad I looked at is fuel injected but had a choke. What's up with that? I didn't think you needed a choke unless it was carbureted.
They may have marked it choke but it is called a fuel enricher. It just idles up the bike till it warms up by opening the throttle a little. My one Harley Sportster has a Mikuni Carburetor on it and it is marked choke on that one but it is just a fuel enricher on the Harley Sportster also. On the Mikuni carburetor model the enricher valve opens a larger port to allow more fuel to flow into the carburetors port to the intake for feeding the cylinders. I rebuilt many of the Mikuni units in my days. I like this Fuel Injection sytem much better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 03 Classic. I changed oil and got only 1.3 liters of oil out. Seems that my motorcycle is eating oil..... :( Now I filled 3.1 liters and will check the oil level....

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I'm told, sticky valves causes oil consumption. Throw some techron in the gas and ride it hard! Are you guys using dino oil? I run shell rotella 5W-40 in all my bikes and never had a problem of oil consumption.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I hope to pick up a "05" 1600 Nomad tonight. I was told by a mechanic that the 1600 consumes oil at a rate of about 1qt per 1000miles. He says it doesn't leak it just disappears and advised me to carry a qt. of oil with me on trips. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have a comment about this?
I read all the posts and see you did not get the bike but, If you do, You should know that your mechanic is right. My 1600 Nomad does not use any oil now that is riding 100/200 mile day trips, change the oil (Mobil 1) every 5000 miles never uses any oil. But on long trips like 800 miles in two days, which I have done many times, the bike will use 1/4 to 1/2 a qt of oil. I do not know why but others have reported the same. So your mechanic was right if you go on a long trip. I had a 06 900LT but never did more then 150/175 mile day rides but that bike never used any oil just like this Nomad. But maybe it would have on longer trips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts