Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what this is about but a couple of days ago i noticed a spot of oil on the floor by the oil filter, or so i thought, oil leak is form the regulator/rectifier, i'am guessing it is filled with oil for cooling reasons, is this a common problem, I would assume it would need changed, any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure what this is about but a couple of days ago i noticed a spot of oil on the floor by the oil filter, or so i thought, oil leak is form the regulator/rectifier, i'am guessing it is filled with oil for cooling reasons, is this a common problem, I would assume it would need changed, any ideas anyone.
mayby your oil filter came lose ? or crack ?
what color was the oil ? coolin is green and if its kind yellow than might be the filter seal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil leak

There is no oil leak, filter is good, not antifreeze all looks good except where plug goes in to regulator it is dripping with oil, kinda yellowish color, any one know regulator is full of oil for cooling reasons ????

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
There is no oil leak, filter is good, not antifreeze all looks good except where plug goes in to regulator it is dripping with oil, kinda yellowish color, any one know regulator is full of oil for cooling reasons ????
My guess would be that the plug was coated with grease on the inside to keep the water out and the heat from the regulator is thinning it out and it's creeping past the connection. A typical regulator is potted with a black tar substance. I've never taken a Vulcan regulator apart so only speculating. I would unplug the regulator and see what you have. In the future it should have a light coating of dielectric grease on the prongs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my '09 Custom a few months ago. It was one little spot of oil and from what I can tell it's not done it again. It almost looked like the oil came out of the wiring harness, but that doesn't make any sense. I'm going to do an oil change today so I'll get a chance to look at it closer and maybe figure out what's going on. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my '09 Custom a few months ago. It was one little spot of oil and from what I can tell it's not done it again. It almost looked like the oil came out of the wiring harness, but that doesn't make any sense. I'm going to do an oil change today so I'll get a chance to look at it closer and maybe figure out what's going on. :rolleyes:
On the VTX forum I read, there have been posters talking about the same mystery oil dripping from above the rear cylinder. It always seems to stop after a few hundred miles and never returns. It was speculated to be leftover packing grease used by the factory when the bikes were assembled or shipped. This could be the same thing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it's kinda "creamy", it's probably oil mixed with water.
Check the wire harness that plugs into the rectifier. I am willing to bet that you'll find it's coming from inside the wire wrap and dripping out from the plug end. It's probably just a little seepage being forced through the rubber at the point the wires go into the engine case.
There is no oil or coolant inside the rectifier.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, I did the oil change and unplugged the rectifier and looked at it. The plug is covered with oil/dirt but not dripping. The rectifier plug looked good, maybe a little oil on it, and the wire plug had just a tiny bit of oil in it. It wouldn't drip out so I took a small screwdriver and cleaned it out with a paper towel. This oil looks clean and has no smell to it, like engine oil would. I don't know what the hell it is, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It's not coming from the engine. :cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
May be coming from where the wires from the rectifier plug go to the stator....there is a rubber grommet where the wires enter the housing where the stator is located and it could be coming out of there and running down the inside of the wire wrap and into the rectifier. Only saying this cuz when I had my stator replaced,the grommet didn't seat properly and had a oil leak...once the grommets were replaced I have had no problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oil leak?

I have the same thing on my 08 900 lt.Not dripping just oil and dirt.I have 1600 miles and it has not changed.I don't worry about it.Just do check oil be every ride and you should be fine.These things will run for ever.Have a great ride and enjoy. Davego tampa fl.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it's kinda "creamy", it's probably oil mixed with water.
Check the wire harness that plugs into the rectifier. I am willing to bet that you'll find it's coming from inside the wire wrap and dripping out from the plug end. It's probably just a little seepage being forced through the rubber at the point the wires go into the engine case.
There is no oil or coolant inside the rectifier.
Greetings,

Having this same issue right now.

Just bought this bike from Craigslist. My R/R connector is filled with oil. When I unclipped the connector it started to drip oil from "inside" the plastic wiring "wrap", not to be confused with the actual wiring insulation that protects the bare copper. The inside of the R/R connector port was filled with oil too. The oil appears to be dripping from inside the stator cable and down into the R/R connection where it begins to saturate the connector with oil.

The oil is not leaking on the outside of the wiring wrap, it's dry. It's leaking from the inside of the wiring wrap. A small cut in the thin wrap near the stator cable exit verified this.

My 900 is overfilled with oil which, I believe, contributed to this leak. I'm changing and refilling it to the correct level, cleaning the R/R and cable then will keep an eye on it to make sure it's stopped. If not, I'll likely replace the grommet where the stator wires exit.

Can oil cause shorts?

Please feel free to add comments.

thanks,

Hairfarm

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My guess too is an overfilled sump has contributed to the weeping of oil between the outer jacket and insulated wires of the cable going to your reg/rec. Oil alone won't short out your circuits but contaminates from riding will. Inspect the connector once in a while and degrease as necessary.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hairfarm, check your breather cover for oil. If it was overfilled, it's a sure bet that oil is in there. Put a rag under it because I had a lot of oil in mine. In fact, you may have to do this two or three times til the line feeding the cover is clear again.
Inspect you air filter. Replace or blow it out with compressed air.

I'm going through this myself. Just bought an 06' with less than 8K miles on it. However, mine is not leaking at the regulator. The regulator itself can't leak anything. It's full of potting material which is very hard. It will burn before it will melt.

Since the grommet for the stator leads is not molded to the wiring, the chance that oil "wicking" up the wiring sheath like a pipe is very possible.

The fact that the bike was overfilled makes the process worse. Less breathing room in the crankcase will force oil out anywhere it can go. Mine was also overfilled and an complete oil change was suggested. Glad I did because the oil level is now correct.

The regulator plug must be free from dirt. Oil is a bit of an insulator but dirt is not. The dirt will begin to conduct electricity if it builds up and somehow connects to one of the inside terminals.

I still have a leak but it only leaks a drop or two here and there. It leaks just under the engine and not at the regulator. After reading this post and others, I think my bike has the grommet leak too. The question in my case, does it leak on the inside or outside of the grommet ? I hate to remove the engine side cover but it may be necessary to fix it. Might as well inspect the stator while in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts