Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a 15k mile valve adjustment. It seemed to go fine, no major problems. Took it out for a short (5 mile) test ride last night, no problems. After work today I went for about a 15 or 20 mile ride and when I got home noticed oil all over both side of the bike. It's coming from a tiny hole on about half way down the side of each jug. What did I do wrong?? :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe I just figured out where my oil is coming from. There is an O-ring around the top of the tube that separates the plugs from the rest of the guts. When I put the cam covers back on I probably didn't get a good seal on these and the oil is getting into the plug chamber and runs out the hole that is bored out through the side of the jug. I'll have to take them off and try re-seating them tomorrow. Now that I've had it apart twice I can get to it in about 30 or 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the "tip" Bama. I hope someone can photo the process and the mods can sticky it. Valve adjustments are such a PITA.....
I'm working up the courage to tackle it myself.
So far:
1. Watch out for o-rings
2. Stuff a rag so I don't drop a shim down the crankase.

I'm slowly compiling do's and dont's......lmao.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know exactly how you feel. The first time I did it I took about 3 hours just to get to the point where I was ready to start the adjustment. It takes some head scratching to figure out how everything comes apart. But now that I know how to do it I think I can have it stripped down in about 45 minutes. I'll find out this afternoon, I gotta get back in there and see what happened with those O-rings. I found a spot in the service manual that says to grease them, I missed that the first time.

And BTW, the valve adjustment itself was quite simple compared to everything else. If I can do it anyone can. I don't know dick about motors, but I'm too cheap to let someone else screw it up or scratch the bike in the process if I can help it. I've heard too many horror stories about dealers.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've heard too many horror stories about dealers.
REALLY?? Did you hear the one where they turn the bikers into really tasty chili and sale their bikes to new, unsuspecting customers??? That one always gets me jumpin ESPECIALLY the part with the Hook and Meat Cleaver, eeeeeash!

If you cut your O-rings and the dealer doesn't have them in town, make sure and see if the local hardware store doesn't have something in your size. For that matter, if you're town is of any decent size their should be a bearing salesplace somewhere around that should stock O-rings of all different sizes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REALLY?? Did you hear the one where they turn the bikers into really tasty chili and sale their bikes to new, unsuspecting customers??? That one always gets me jumpin ESPECIALLY the part with the Hook and Meat Cleaver, eeeeeash!

If you cut your O-rings and the dealer doesn't have them in town, make sure and see if the local hardware store doesn't have something in your size. For that matter, if you're town is of any decent size their should be a bearing salesplace somewhere around that should stock O-rings of all different sizes.
Ya know, after all the threads I read about doing your own valves, you'd think someone mighta mentioned about these dainty O-rings around the plug cylinder. No one in town has them and if you go online to order them it costs $20 or more to ship ship UPS ground for something that would fit in an envelope with a 42 cent stamp! Now I'm without a bike for about a week unless I fork over $33 or more just for shipping, and even then it will take 'til at least Monday to get here. This sucks.

Be forewarned... get your o-rings before you start this! :mad:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Forgive my stupidity. Are they rubber O-rings? Or is it metal? Is it something that could be matched with a different rubber O-ring? I know on my last bike there was a rubber O-ring for something, I forget where. But you could just buy some rubber O-rings from Home Depot in the plumbing department.

How much are the O-rings? Does it seem like that the O-rings have to be replaced when doing a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
240 Posts
if your oring isnt cut in half or missing a chucnk, all you gta do is get some rtv and coat the oring in rtv and reinstall. let it sit for 24 hours before you let oil get close too it and thourouly clean all surfaces that will be in contact with the rtv.

its worked for me several times before on several different cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Forgive my stupidity. Are they rubber O-rings? Or is it metal? Is it something that could be matched with a different rubber O-ring? I know on my last bike there was a rubber O-ring for something, I forget where. But you could just buy some rubber O-rings from Home Depot in the plumbing department.

How much are the O-rings? Does it seem like that the O-rings have to be replaced when doing a valve adjustment?
These are a very specific size, I doubt that you'll find them at any plumbing shop. I hit 2 auto stores and a motorcycle shop and they didn't have them. They don't cost much, ~$1.50 each, but to "expedite" the shipment cost $20+.

I think if your careful taking the plug cylinder out, and even more so when putting them back you won't have to replace them, but both of mine were leaking and the one in front wasn't even pinched. The one in back I pretty much butchered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if your oring isnt cut in half or missing a chucnk, all you gta do is get some rtv and coat the oring in rtv and reinstall. let it sit for 24 hours before you let oil get close too it and thourouly clean all surfaces that will be in contact with the rtv.

its worked for me several times before on several different cars.
What is RTV?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bama,
What I usually do when there is a motorcycle specific part that I do not want to pay the shipping for is have the dealer order it for me. They usually give me a 10% discount and can get the parts in just as fast as I can ordering off the web. The good part is they pay the shipping :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bama,
What I usually do when there is a motorcycle specific part that I do not want to pay the shipping for is have the dealer order it for me. They usually give me a 10% discount and can get the parts in just as fast as I can ordering off the web. The good part is they pay the shipping :)
Funny you should mention that. I just found a dealer about 30 miles from here who will do the same for me. They haven't offerred me any discounts but I don't have to pay shipping and if I get the order in by Tuesday or Wednesday they will usually have the parts by that Friday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seek out a hydraulic supply company in your area; chances are, they will have what you are looking for. O-rings are only made out of a few simple materials like Viton, Rubber or silicone so it wont be hard at all for someone there to match it up for you.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts