Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
First one should have been done at 600 miles, including filter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
+1

I was going to say 300 miles ago.

Because I am a fanatic (and oil is relatively cheap), I did mine at 500km, and again at 1,500km; then got onto the usual 3,000km routine after that.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Oilo Change Overkill

I change the oil and filter in my 07 900 at the beginning of each riding season. I also change it before I put it away in the winter, but not the filter. I know this is much more than called for, but I want to get the contaminates out before storing it in the winter. I also know that oil sitting in a crankcase all winter will get some condensate etc and some interaction with the metal. I do start it up in the winter and should we get a nice day take a ride. The oil is not wasted. I use it in my mowers etc....lol

·
Registered
847 Posts
We usually take a couple of week long rides each year, about 1,500 miles maybe more. I change the oil after each trip. I know it isn't necessary and may or may not help, but it can't hurt as long as I get everything tight before taking off.

·
Registered
847 Posts
So that's an average of 2,000 mi. between changes. I have a 1996 Honda Bobber which I change once a yr. no matter what and have no problems with it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would dump the break-in oil NOW!! I'm a bit of a nut on clean oil, and change it more than is probably necessary!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Everybody has their own take on the oil they use and the oil change intervals with the exception of the first oil change which most everyone agrees should be changed in less than 600 miles...most say sooner. I decided to spend the $25 to know how my motor and motor oil was doing with no outside influence just facts. I am an Amsoil user guy for years and believe in it. I sent an oil sample in to Blackstone Labs to see if I could really trust my oil for over 3,000 miles since Amsoil people hype the extended oil change intervals. Here are the results from this recent sample. It appears my oil will hold up extremely well for 3,000 to 4,000 mile intervals which is where I am comfortable...they think it is good for 5,000 miles. See results below. This is from my 07 Classic LT with 11,470 miles on it at the time of the sample. The oil is Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle grade full synthetic since I ride and live in the desert with common temperatures over 100 degrees. The oil had 3,053 miles when the sample was taken. I would welcome more people to have samples taken of their favorite oil to post here and compare values.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts