Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 classic and I don't have an owners manual. I need some help on my oil change. What type and weight oil do you use. Also how much do do I need to buy. Oil filter brand and part number. Can I get these anywhere or dealer only?
Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
welcome to the forum

Wal- mart is the place i get all of my oils got lots of Wal marts 10 miles from each other I use super tech 10-40 syntetic on all my vehicles including lawn mower, my local NAPA has good prices on oil filters and spark plugs

i

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike! Make sure you use motorcycle specific oil. I use a Kawasaki oil filter. Here's the oil that I use:

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Filters for your bike:

Some quick google searching turned up this:

Oil Filter:
Bosch 3300
K&N 303
mobil M1 108
Purolator PL 14612
Supertech (Wal-Mart) ST6607

I use the mobil M108 and castrol 10 w 40. Have also used royal purple as well as .

For Oil: Use Motorcycle specific. Do a search, many options.

If you need specific assistance with the oil change, do a search or ask away!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use Kawasaki 10w-40 full synthetic and a Kawasaki filter on mine. Amsoil, Mobil 1 Racing 4T and other JASO MA full synthetic oils are fine also. Others will say any JASO MA oil, but I only use full synthetic in any of my internal combustion engines. It takes just short of four quarts with the filter change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Walmart Shell Rotella 5w40 full synthetic JASO MA rated for $21.97 for 4 quarts.

K&N 303 from Amazon because I like the 17mm nut on the end to torque the filter to exactly the right tightness with my Harbor freight torque wrench. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks everybody for the quick replies. Great information. I'm so glad there is a place on the net to get some help when you need it.

I will be changing the oil in the next couple days.

·
Registered
243 Posts
...Also, make sure that you recover the drain plug washer when draining the oil ( Kawasaki recommends replacing it). Sometimes it ends up in the waste oil. It's also a good idea to torque the drain plug to factory specs when reinstalling; don't want to over tighten and strip anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Walmart Shell Rotella 5w40 full synthetic JASO MA rated for $21.97 for 4 quarts.

K&N 303 from Amazon because I like the 17mm nut on the end to torque the filter to exactly the right tightness with my Harbor freight torque wrench. :)
I don't have a shop manual yet. Whats the torque on the filter and drain plug?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Be gentle! 15 ft-lbs is not much. And remember the washer on the plug...do not ry and tighten the plug without it.

Tighten the drain plugs.
Torque - Engine Oil Drain Plug: 20 N·m (2.0 kgf·m, 15 ft·lb)

·
Registered
170 Posts
The drain plug is 15 FT LB's and the Filter is 13 FT LB's.
Whoever did the oil on my bike before I bought it didn't seem to think so. That thing took a trip to Home Depot for a huge set of pliers just to get it off, and I nearly destroyed the filter in the process.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just thought of another tip :): During the time that you’re draining the oil, pre-fill your new filter with new oil and let it soak in before installation. That way critical parts will get oil faster when you start it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts