Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not anothr thread, just a question. I've got about 1000 miles on synthetic oil in my beast now. The riding season is about over here in Va., should I change it out or will it be okay with only 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If your storing it in a heated constant temp location.
I would leave it in.
If your like me and its in a garage.
Take the hit ( $$$$ ) and swap it out for some cheap oil.
Come spring dump it out and go back to the Synthetic.
Next season time it so that your not in the same jam.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil change

Thanks ItsMePaul, I think I'll take your advice. I keep my bike inside but it's not constantly heated.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nothing is going to happen to the engine oil while the bike is not being used overwinter, regardless of the temperature. If you feel that you ought to change the oil for storage, if I were in your shoes I would use whatever you have been using as long as you are not going to start the engine. If you plan to run the engine then the only proviso is to make certain that the oil weight is suitable for the temperature at the time you will run the engine. And from experience I would not start the engine just to run it unless you are going to ride the bike enough to get the oil to at least near normal operating temperature - condensation will form in the sump and turn the oil milky, lessening its ability to lubricate and resulting acid can cause damage. If the oil becomes milky it will need to be changed before riding the bike in spring.

·
Registered
987 Posts
oil changes

Lots of discussion around oil, but the reason that we change it at all is because of the contaminants which are created when those 4 inch pistons run up and down inside a metal jacket, driven by an explosion created with a hydrocarbon, pressure and a spark.....

At 1000 miles, I would never be concerned about long term storage, especially with a good quality synthetic. At 4 or 5000 miles, there will be an acidic mix of contaminants in your oil, which coupled with the inevitable moisture from parking a warm motor in a cold storage facility could cause minor corrosion on aluminum and other alloy pieces inside the motor. Over time, the damage adds up. I use regular 10/40 racing oil in my bikes, change every 3000 miles, and if I am close to a change at the end of the season, I drop the oil and put new stuff in for the winter. Where I live, it never thaws once it has frozen, so moisture doesn't accumulate until spring, and I have the bike on the road as soon as possible..:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Lots of discussion around oil, but the reason that we change it at all is because of the contaminants which are created when those 4 inch pistons run up and down inside a metal jacket, driven by an explosion created with a hydrocarbon, pressure and a spark.....

At 1000 miles, I would never be concerned about long term storage, especially with a good quality synthetic. At 4 or 5000 miles, there will be an acidic mix of contaminants in your oil, which coupled with the inevitable moisture from parking a warm motor in a cold storage facility could cause minor corrosion on aluminum and other alloy pieces inside the motor. Over time, the damage adds up. I use regular 10/40 racing oil in my bikes, change every 3000 miles, and if I am close to a change at the end of the season, I drop the oil and put new stuff in for the winter. Where I live, it never thaws once it has frozen, so moisture doesn't accumulate until spring, and I have the bike on the road as soon as possible..:D
Other than the change interval, this is the best response yet.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts