Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little tip that helps when removing the oil cap. The slotted cap is crazy hard to remove .....BUT, the opposite end of our shock absorber adjusting tool fits perfectly into the slot! It turns it out effortlessly!
The tool kit is under the seat, the tool itself comes in two pieces, one end fits.....the other end doesn't.
Regards, Silent.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
NOTE: Use the fat end (handle end) to tighten/loosen the oil cap. If you use the slender end that fits the shock adjustment, it's VERY easy to bend. ;)

That's the tool I use to open my oil cap for oil changes too, didn't even think about letting others know... Thx Silent!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Once you get it off, put it back on hand tight only, makes it easier to get off next time. You can also get one from Cobra that can be removed and installed by hand, no tools needed.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hmmmm... I replaced the oil cap. Hey, I was bored one evening and cruising eBay, saw it and said... so I replaced it and the new one doesn't need any tool to get it on and off (watch,:eek: the next time I change my oil, it'll be stuck and I'll have no tool to remove it...Geeesh!!)..:cool:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the "thank-you's". I actually discovered it when I was changing my oil AND adjusting my shock with my first 900. I had used a quarter and a set of vice-grips. No lie, the quarter bent like a pretzel....I was like WTF?
Then I looked at the shock adjuster and went "hmnnn".
It seems like the adjuster was specifically designed for it, perfect fit. Of course after the oil change I was sure not to "glue" the cap back on.....as per stealership er dealership instructions....ahem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my vulcan 900 '07 used 1600 miles the other day. popped the seat no tool kit... mmmm guess I'm in deep gravy. :(

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good sized screw driver and a crescent wrench.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just got my vulcan 900 '07 used 1600 miles the other day. popped the seat no tool kit... mmmm guess I'm in deep gravy. :(
Get a large flat washer that will just fit in the slot in the cap. Clamp the washer in a pair of Vice Grips. Put the other side of the washer in the little groove in the cap and twist. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also use a big flat washer and pliers! But who would known, the little things you never think of that makes a differents. Thanx silent, i'll have to try that next time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thanks jeep! I might add another way to get it off I used a nice solid paint scraper haha it did the job.

Only problem is I just moved from a honda rebel (which had a dip stick built in) to the vulcan 900 that has that little oil window (which I can't read for the life of me). Guess I just need to go ahead and do an oil change so I know it's got the right amount of oil in it. it's at 2k miles and I bought it at 1.6k.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Get a large flat washer that will just fit in the slot in the cap. Clamp the washer in a pair of Vice Grips. Put the other side of the washer in the little groove in the cap and twist. Works like a charm.
+1

I went for my biggest screwdriver, but it seemed to me that i would kink up the cap... opted for the big washer. Fits in there like it was made for it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Careful with that shock tool. I grabbed it too high up once and it too twisted like a pretzel. I now keep a large washer in the tool kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts