Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 vulcan nomad 1500 fi 23k miles, its too cold to do an oil change now but id like to purchase oil and a filter before riding season. whats every one else using? the previous owner was using amsoil 15w40. any tips and tricks or helpful tool recommendations are greatly appreciated. ill get pics of her up once its warm enough to spend a day detailing her.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
o'reileys or napa store get a wix 51358 filter and a jug of shell diesel rotella 15w-40

·
Registered
673 Posts
Any brand that has the correct grade, and is JASO rated for the oil. (wet clutch right?) For me I like the K&N oil filters for the welded on nut, for removal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you clean the secondary filter as well. I use amsoil and a wiz filter I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tonebob

See this link it has a picture and step by step for cleaning the oil screen.

I use Shell Rotella T 15-40 it is JASO MA rated.

My filter is One 2.5" PL 14612, I still have a GOAT and the 3.5” one won’t fit.

https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article.php/changing-your-oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
FTW2017 I'm not familiar with the secondary filter could you elaborate please and thanks.
It's a screen that is undeneath and behind the kickstand. I use it to change oil rather than the drain plug because it drains out the side while the bike is leaned over on the kickstand, and then I can check the screen for sludge or metal shavings. The plug is aluminum, though, at least mine is, so be careful puttig it back in. You don't have to torque it down very tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts