Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil and filter for the first time on my new to me Vulcan. I was told by the dealership that I needed 5 liters of oil with the filter change. I used a factory filter, and added at total of 5 liters after circulating and filling the filter. I let it settle for a few minutes and going by the manual, putting the bike vertical and screwing in the dipstick, I find the oild barely on the stick. I added another 0.5 L to put it in the middle of the crosshatched area of the stick. This is vertical, screwing in the dipstick. Is this the norm? This is more than the manual is calling for by half a liter. Thoughts? Engine Oil Change - Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 VOYAGER Service Manual [Page 87] | ManualsLib

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine takes 5 qts of oil total with filter which puts it at the upper end of the dipstick. (5 qts = 4.73 ltrs) So using 5 ltrs should be correct. Since you're referencing the manual I assume you are following the entire procedure for draining, filling and checking. The 1700 has a specific process to check oil level including warming the engine to operating temp before checking.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Like CarGuy said, the process is very specific on this engine. It uses a semi-dry sump, so running the engine to warm it and letting the oil settle is important to the process. Don't ignore the ambient air temp chart. My 2017 manual calls for 4.5 qts when the filter is replaced. 5 qts is for completely dry; that means after a rebuild, not an oil change. It looks to me like you're a full qt over filled at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The Voyager manual calls for 4.5 quarts (4.3 L) with the filter removed. It usually takes a little bit more (maybe an 1/8 qt.) to get it up to about 2/3 between fill and full. 5 L sounds like a bit much. Are you letting it sit for a few minutes before you check it? As SteveJB said, it needs some time to settle before you check it. The Voyager manual says a minimum of 3 min. I usually wait at least 5 min.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I put 5 qts in my Voyager, start it up to circulate it and fill the filer. Then forget it. I'll check it again at 3000 miles and change it again at 6000 miles. I don't see what the big deal is and all the fuss. Simple. I've always wondered though. When you check the oil and it's in the right place on the dip stick then later on check it again and it doesn't show on the dip stick at all, where did it go?🤷‍♂️ One of the great mysteries of life, I guess. I know, semi-dry. 🤔

·
Registered
567 Posts
I put 5 qts in my Voyager, start it up to circulate it and fill the filer. Then forget it. I'll check it again at 3000 miles and change it again at 6000 miles. I don't see what the big deal is and all the fuss. Simple. I've always wondered though. When you check the oil and it's in the right place on the dip stick then later on check it again and it doesn't show on the dip stick at all, where did it go?🤷‍♂️ One of the great mysteries of life, I guess. I know, semi-dry. 🤔
I've had the same issue. Changed the oil and it took 6 qts and still barely shows on the dipstick.
Checked it again a few weeks later and it don't show on the stick. No leaks, no blue smoke, no burning oil smell.
It baffles me.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I check my oil every couple weeks and it always reads just below the full mark. 4.5 qts when I change the oil and filter. I follow the instructions every time. Yes it's a PITA, but maintaining oil level is important. We keep asking "are you following the prescribed process?" and everybody responds with how crazy their reads are.

One last time, for anyone getting outrageous reads when they check the dipstick: Are you following the procedure outlined in the manual, or are you doing it the same way you check the oil in your 68 Chevelle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts