Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and got the Mobil M1 108 oil filter, and 4 quarts of wet-clutch safe dino oil (20-50 as we're still in the 90's and horrid humid right now), but as this is the first time I'll be changing the oil myself on my 900 custom, I have a question. How much oil does it normally take to fill you back up after an oil and filter swap?

The service manual says 3.1 quarts, but I could have sworn I've read/heard somewhere that it actually takes closer to the full 4. Am I delirious?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I when I changed my oil and filter on a 900 classic, I put in about 3 and 1/3 quarts.

I think the 3.1 quarts is listed as just changing the oil without changing the filter. Obviously changing the filter requires a little more oil to get full. Buy 4 quarts.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, it lists 2.9 qts for a change with no new filter. Bought 4, was just wondering, as I was thinking it would take 3.5 or more. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
126 Posts
take a look at that filter. I would be surprised if it could hold half a quart. I think if I remember it was 3 and a third quarts with filter change. Now here is what I do. I take that 4th bottle and measure it into thirds. then mark it with a black marker. then I have 3 oil changes worth of thirds ready to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts