Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
few thinks to say after watching the video (great job), only hand tighten the filter as much as you can, and then I give it another one-eigth extra turn with the wrench, if you can get a good hand grip on the filter and really hand tighten it, then you might not need to add the extra with the wrench, I only use a wrench for the extra little bit more for a snug solid fit, (my hand strength is not the best) but be careful not to squish the rubber gasket with the wrench, just a real good snug seal, and ya lube the rubber gasket with oil before putting it on. and i use metric measuring cups for the exact amount of oil to put in because I don't trust my guess measuring.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The only thing missing is the occasional check of the oil pump screen as well.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Just did the oil change on my 2016 Vulcan 900 Custom per the service manual and your video. As an FYI- I had an OEM oil filter and found that a Honda/Nissan Oil Filter (cap type) wrench (64mmx14) fits the OEM oil filter perfectly on the Vulcan 900 Custom. Thank you for the informative video!

·
Registered
88 Posts
thanks guys.......

a shade tree mechanic that had a 2006 vulcan9, said if you wana do synethetic, wait till you do 11k of conventional oil changes
before doing full synthetic...

I just mine used with 3k on it, it had only one done at 1k miles, so only 2 k on the oil over a few years of sittin in the guys garage, should I be worried?

Also, i wana do synthetic, 10-40w, when can I start that yall?

·
Registered
521 Posts
That is an old wise tale. Many vehicles come from the factory with syn oil. You can change now if you want.

·
Registered
88 Posts
thanks yall

what about the 2012 v9 tranny oil, is it just the motor oil or separate?

If not, what tranny fluid, and how often should you change it, how?DIY.....?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Motor oil does both engine and trans.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
found that a Honda/Nissan Oil Filter (cap type) wrench (64mmx14) fits the OEM oil filter perfectly
the NAPA Store has a 64.5mmx14 cap type wrench, will that fit their NAPA1358 oil filter?

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is the way ALL tutorial videos should be.....audio was clear and very easily understood and the video was easy to watch because the lighting was spot on. Nice job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks yall

what about the 2012 v9 tranny oil, is it just the motor oil or separate?

If not, what tranny fluid, and how often should you change it, how?DIY.....?
Your oil also lubes your trans in your V900 so make sure whatever oil you used you use motorcycle oil with a MC-2 designation, it can be found on the rear of the oil container, this is to protect your clutch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts