Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm using Mobil 1 4t 10w-40 with a K&N filter on my bike. Now with 33.000 miles and riding around 100+ miles daily commute down in HOT South Florida. I was wondering if it will be time to switch to Mobil 1 V-TWIN 20w-50 .
I notice the oil level drop sometimes a little, enough to notice from the oil check window, usually around after 4k miles after an oil change I have to add a little to reach the top mark. I checked for leaks and haven't found any.
My major concern is riding in hot temperatures at high speed for a long time.
Let me know what type you use under these conditions.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd stick to the weight of oil that's recommended in the owner's manual, personally. That 20W-50 is more than likely for a Harley. I know it gets hot in FL but it's been hotter here in Ohio than it's been in Florida. :eek:

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I was in a hotter area like you're in I'd use the 20w-50.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd stick to the weight of oil that's recommended in the owner's manual, personally. That 20W-50 is more than likely for a Harley. I know it gets hot in FL but it's been hotter here in Ohio than it's been in Florida. :eek:

Wow, really? It's been in the mid 90s with lows of 80s for some time now. I can't recall it being that hot in Ohio. XP

Now...texas is a different story.

I was actually wondering what the best oil would be to use since I'm in Central Florida. There's so many dang brands with different numbers and different specs, it's hard to know what oil is going to tear up the bike and what is best. Per

Read a bit on this part of the forum.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7342

Maybe you'll gain some insite there.
Mainly it's this portion I read:
10W-40 is the general recommendation that covers most riding conditions.

Here is a direct quote from my VN2K manual:

On page 97 -
"Although 10W-40 engine oil is the recommended oil for most conditions, the oil viscosity may need to be changed to accommodate atmospheric conditions in your riding area."

On page 98 is the table showing ambient temp range vs. oil viscosity -
20W-50: acceptable from 32F to >104F
20W-40: acceptable from 32F to 104F
10W-50: acceptable from 14F to >104F
10W-40: acceptable from 14F to 104F
10W-30: acceptable from 14F to 86F

My factory service manual gives the same notes and same table of temp vs. viscosity as in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, really? It's been in the mid 90s with lows of 80s for some time now. I can't recall it being that hot in Ohio. XP

Now...texas is a different story.

I was actually wondering what the best oil would be to use since I'm in Central Florida. There's so many dang brands with different numbers and different specs, it's hard to know what oil is going to tear up the bike and what is best. Per

Read a bit on this part of the forum.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7342

Maybe you'll gain some insite there.
Mainly it's this portion I read:

It's Al Gore's fault! It was 95-101 all week last week with a heat index of 108. It's 98 right now but thankfully the humidity is lower.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just changed my Mobil 1 and this time used the 20-50. I've had the bike for going on three years and always used the 10-40 previously. Went with the heavier oil this time just because the store didn't have 10-40 at the time I was buying it. The 20-50 seems to work just as well and as hot as it's been here in lower Alabama can't imagine it making that much of a difference. I don't ride if it get's below freezing so no worries about exceeding the lower range of the oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40. Being the engine is water cooled the highest temp is fairly well kept in the low 200 degrees. If you had a Yamaha or Harley that is air cooled then the 20w-50 would be warranted as the temp could go closer to 300+. Most wear is when you first start the engine and that's when quick lubrication is most important.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi, I'm using Mobil 1 4t 10w-40 with a K&N filter on my bike. Now with 33.000 miles and riding around 100+ miles daily commute down in HOT South Florida. I was wondering if it will be time to switch to Mobil 1 V-TWIN 20w-50 .
I notice the oil level drop sometimes a little, enough to notice from the oil check window, usually around after 4k miles after an oil change I have to add a little to reach the top mark. I checked for leaks and haven't found any.
My major concern is riding in hot temperatures at high speed for a long time.
Let me know what type you use under these conditions.
Thanks!!
I use 20W-50 because it is down right hot here in Central Texas (over 100 F every day this month). Per the weather channel-expected high tomorrow 108 F. I also used to live in Polk City (Central Florioda). I think I would run 20W-50 there as well as I remember the summer being HOT! :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
i switched to the 20w50 last month and rode it about 500 miles. had a pretty good tick in the top end which bugged me and made me think the oil was too thick to properly lubricate up there. So I switched to 10w40 amsoil and the tick has about disappeared. Also went to lower actane 90 or 91 instead of 93.
Changed the oile three times this year since purchase. Bike was repo and I just don't trust someone who's losing their bike to a bank.
So i been rinsing out a few times.
Even though evberyone seems to love amsoil. I kind of liked the mobil1 10w40 the best so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use Motul 7100, which is a full synthetic oil. 10w40, 15w50, 20w50, should all be fine weights. As one of the other posters stated, just make sure it has "JASO" written on the label. There are many fine motorcycle oils out there. The oil you have should be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use 20W-50 because it is down right hot here in Central Texas (over 100 F every day this month). Per the weather channel-expected high tomorrow 108 F. I also used to live in Polk City (Central Florioda). I think I would run 20W-50 there as well as I remember the summer being HOT! :cool:
Heh, that's funny. I was just in Texas for a visit, but I live in Auburndale, FL..right next to Polk City.

It was hotter than hell out there in Texas. Burned my arms and face off taking a "short" ride on a Harley out there. Teach me to ride a Harley! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely stick with 10w40. Today's engines are high tech and the oil they spec is what is best for that engine. I use Amsoil 10w40 oil and filter in my Custom and nothing else. I have done excessive research on oils and there is a huge differences in the quality of synthetic oils. In my opinion Rotella T is one of the worst, sure it will work but its diesel oil they just put the JASO on it because most of the time its all you can get at Walmart. If you do a little research you will find Amsoil can't be beat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am in the process of changing over to Amsoil in my bike. I use it in both SUVs. The dealer advised me to use 20W-50 which is one of the choices in the owner's manual. His reasoning was that, while both grades will work well, I am unlikely to be riding at the lower end of the temperatures where 10W is best. On the other hand, riding in the summer with heat build-up in traffic, the 50 will afford additional protection. Also, since my bike in a garage which rarely goes below the 60s in riding season, it is never really ice cold.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Let me say again, the engine is water cooled. It doesn't know if it's 80 F or 100 F air temperature. Too high a viscosity can be detrimental because the flow rate can be reduced. Having said that, you'll probably never see the difference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts