1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got a chrome knurled cap with 'Vulcan' on it, about $8 on eBay from Taiwan (where they are made). Nice piece and much easier to use than the stock item, which is the worst oil cap I have ever seen.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off. According to some of the replies in that thread, it's an issue that's not exclusive to that individual, and they've more/less been known to come loose on the bike.

Don't know, never used them, never looked into it (I prefer the look of the OEM cap anyway and don't mind it.) But just figured I'd pass that along since I saw that thread, might be worth looking into before you put it in your bike. As I understand it, loosing all your oil is a bad thing. And messy! :p

Edit: Ahh, here we go, it was in the "General Vulcan Talk" section: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23710

Again, I have no personal experience, but that thread would make me, personally, want to look a little more closely at those before I bought them. It would seem from that thread that there is at least a POTENTIAL for them to vibrate loose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off.
Do you mean the ones the OP linked to, or the ones I mentioned? I didn't read every word of that other thread, but I don't remember the type of cap being specified other than that it was a chromed aftermarket one. Another poster mentioned seeping oil from under a 'Vulcan' cap, but that one had no O ring.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Do you mean the ones the OP linked to, or the ones I mentioned? I didn't read every word of that other thread, but I don't remember the type of cap being specified other than that it was a chromed aftermarket one. Another poster mentioned seeping oil from under a 'Vulcan' cap, but that one had no O ring.
I'm not sure what it was but a couple of replies mentioned issues with various aftermarket caps, or hearing of issues. Just passing that along is all. Figured if someone was going to buy it they might want to know those things have been said about aftermarket caps in general, so they can take a closer look.

No skin off my nose either way, but I just wanted to mention it!

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Definitely looks easier to remove and/or tighten than the stocker.
I recommend you keep the stock oil filler cap and use what I use to remove it, I got a chisel and 3/8" wrench to remove the cap, the chisel point fits into the stock cap slot perfectly and the wrench to turn the chisel, you don't need an aftermarket cap if you buy the proper tools to remove the stock cap.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend you keep the stock oil filler cap and use what I use to remove it, I got a chisel and 3/8" wrench to remove the cap, the chisel point fits into the stock cap slot perfectly and the wrench to turn the chisel, you don't need an aftermarket cap if you buy the proper tools to remove the stock cap.
Actually, the handles on the shock adjustment tools fit it well, but I like the idea of being able to remove and replace an oil cap without tools. The old cap isn't tough, but it could be easier.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just changed my oile today, I don't put the cap on super tight so all I use is the biggest scewdriver I have and I have no problems getting it off. I thought of buying a cap from ebay but I thought why spend the money if I don't need to and take a chance of ending up with a cheap piece of crap. Plus... my luck some dam kid would steel it and I would be stranded somewhere without a oil cap. lol!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off. According to some of the replies in that thread, it's an issue that's not exclusive to that individual, and they've more/less been known to come loose on the bike.

Edit: Ahh, here we go, it was in the "General Vulcan Talk" section: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23710

Again, I have no personal experience, but that thread would make me, personally, want to look a little more closely at those before I bought them. It would seem from that thread that there is at least a POTENTIAL for them to vibrate loose.
I'm the OP of the thread mentioned and would certainly concur with Romans words of caution. I've seen a number of the different caps, many like mine which usually say Vulcan or 900 or something on the top. I have yet to see one with an O-ring on it. Mine came without one and I didn't realize that I needed one, so that's how I installed it, without.

Since the incident, I've installed an O-ring and it seems to work fine now, but I can assure you that it will be a while before I trust it completely. I rode for several hours today and checked it frequently to ensure that it was still tight.

Here are a couple of photos of my cap, which is different than the ones linked by the OP in this thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, this seems like a warning about not using an O-ring, rather than about aftermarket caps. Comparing stock with O-ring to aftermarket without doesn't seem like a very scientific approach, so until I hear of aftermarket caps working loose despite having O-rings fitted, I won't be worrying too much.

And Pretzel beat me to the comment about using the C-spanner on the stock cap...

·
Registered
327 Posts
A quarter and a pair of pliers works too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts