Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about creating another mod for my bike but wanted to get some input. The oil filler plug I would like to replace it with a filter type breather to give it that more mechanical look. My question is. Is there pressure I need to worry about pushing up through that hole while the motor is running? The plug screws in tightly so I was wondering if oil gets flung on the plug and a filter would not be a good idea.

I was thinking, I know the crank case has a evacuation system on it now so there should never be crank case pressure so that should rule out oil being blown out the hole. I think I little filter would look cool in place of the plug.

Anyone got any incite they can lend me on this?

~R~

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's not much pressure to worry about...BUT you can plug the filter inlet (outlet?) after you thread it or otherwise attach it to whatever you put into the plug hole. Since the filter is not going to be functional, it'll be fine either way.
Sounds like it'll be an interesting looking mod...please post pix if you get around to doing it! :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's not much pressure to worry about...BUT you can plug the filter inlet (outlet?) after you thread it or otherwise attach it to whatever you put into the plug hole. Since the filter is not going to be functional, it'll be fine either way.
Sounds like it'll be an interesting looking mod...please post pix if you get around to doing it! :cool:
Didn't think about plugging the filter I would like it to be functional although I might have to do that if oil becomes an issue.

If I do get it done I'll throw up a few pictures.

~R~

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree please posts pics

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to give it a go and it worked out pretty easily. Took all of 10 min to create and no issues with oil leaking out of the filter.

I got the filter from Auto Zone, price $9.99

Here are a few shots.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F.Y.I I took the bike out for a nice ride tonight and the oil plug filer is spitting oil out the filer even though it's a very little amount it's still not cool.. The filter needs a baffle of some type or just plug the hole. Also I don't like the Red filter so I'm going to replace it with a different color.

I do like the fact there is more air evac in the crank case so I need to find a way to baffle the filter to I get the benefit of having it.

~R~

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the color of the filter and I made a baffel to stop oil from getting into the filter so it all worked out nicely.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now what does this really do
It allows any crank case pressure buildup to easily evacuate. Most all cars and bikes have them. Most engines have a vacuum tube that is connected to the intake to pull out air from the crankcase. I have a race car and I use a vacuum pump where it pulls vacuum from the crank case and give about 10 HP in return because it helps seal the rings to the cylinder wall.

Honestly I'm doing this more for looks than any actual power gain. Although having more ventilation in the crank case is a good thing and the more miles you put on the bike the more blow by you will have in the crank case so getting the pressure out is a good thing.

~R~

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So this is in addition to the one that mounts on the back of the front jug and runs to the air filter?
MrClean, yes that's right, it is an extra addition it's not really needed but it does allow for more ventilation. I like having the filter so I can see how much blow-by I'm getting and it also is a great way to make sure there is not back pressure in the crank case.

I have a drag car and I use a Vacuum pump to draw vacuum from the crank case. This helps seal the rings to the cylinder walls and give the car about 15 extra horse power. Now the filter is not going to create power but if there is any buildup pressure in the crank case you will loose power. Again as I said it is more for looks..

~R~

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can u do a step by step how to make one and what parts u need and were to get them
Custome. I got all the parts from Autozone. The filter I think comes in 3 or 4 colors to chose from. I used a vacuum plug that you can get at Autozone. I drilled the oil cap and then tapped it, I don't remember the tap size but whatever vacuum plug tread you get just get the tap for it. It was really very simple. Drill the hole tap it and put in your vacuum plug and your set.

Make sure you take your time drilling and tape the oil plug so it dosen't get scratched. Drill in the middle of the oil plug as shown in my picture. Make sure you drill straight and than tap the hole slowly, taking your time and doing it straight is very important. Once drilled and tapped when putting in the vacuum plug use pipe dope and not tape. I find pipe dope seals better than the tape.

Good luck.

~R~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts