Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I took my longest ride ever:
Houston to Jeanerette, La.

It was awesome, I had a great time and the ride was incredible.
The trip was to visit family, so I will have many more opportunities to take that ride.

However, I noticed a bit of oil film directly below the air filter cover.
Taking the cover off, I noticed that there was some (not much) oil on the lower part and this oil running down is what I noticed.

From what I can find, this seems normal...but can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Rod

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
It is normal, the crankcase vent tube routes to the back of the air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
There is a crankcase vent line running there.......Sometimes the fumes carry condensation and u get some moisture.....Make sure u did not over fill the crank case......There have also been a couple of threads here on how 2 re route this line if it becomes a problem......:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had some oil in mine when i took it off a while back. Im guessing the previous owner just overfilled the crank case. I made sure the level was correct when i changed it. Why did they put the sight glass where they did? You have to have some one sit on your bike to straighten it out to check it?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a crankcase vent line running there.......Sometimes the fumes carry condensation and u get some moisture.....Make sure u did not over fill the crank case......There have also been a couple of threads here on how 2 re route this line if it becomes a problem......:)
Thanks for the response.
I just had the 1st service done at the dealer...I would hope they did not overfill it. But I checked the site-glass (full disclosure - I did not know where to find it! It took some searching around for me to finally locate it...not to mention looking like an idiot...) and it does not appear to be overfilled...seems just right.

I will look for those threads about re-routing the lines...but if anyone has a link I would appreciate it.

Rod

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had some oil in mine when i took it off a while back. Im guessing the previous owner just overfilled the crank case. I made sure the level was correct when i changed it. Why did they put the sight glass where they did? You have to have some one sit on your bike to straighten it out to check it?
I keep a extendable inspection mirror in my saddlebag. I can check the oil while sitting on the bike.;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1

It's why I got rid of my hypercharger. The crankcase vent goes in to where it's inside the "filtered air", and my k&n filter was full of motor oil. I went with a homemade filter solution (unfortunately can't take full credit for it, got it from a post on this forum) and have a separate breather filter. The whole mod cost about $35 for the filters and a piece of sheet metal. I just replaced the filterers this last weekend, so they look very clean. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts