Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 nomad 1500 7 days new to me. Pretty sure it’s on these forums already but can’t find it. Replacing clutch spring but it’s not in yet so did friction plates while I wait. I see a note on the gadgets saying the last plate goes in the shorter bevels not the same one that the first seven go in. I didn’t notice this when I pulled the old ones out. So it the last plate on a stock install still supposed to go in the shorter grooves? Also the kid at the the store asked me if I was using synthetic or mineral oil. Where and what is this mineral oil he speaks of? He said synthetic is harder on the friction plates, but can’t change back to mineral if it is synthetic- I have no clue. And finally have seen people mention oil for noisy lifters - the one I remember was Motul, not amsoil? Or rotella seemed to be the other one. Is this correct?
Thanks for your patience. And happy for of July my southern riders

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mineral oil is conventional oil.

I've seen it both ways; once you use synthetic, can't switch back versus it doesn't matter. I'm inclined to believe it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1999 nomad 1500 7 days new to me. Pretty sure it’s on these forums already but can’t find it. Replacing clutch spring but it’s not in yet so did friction plates while I wait. I see a note on the gadgets saying the last plate goes in the shorter bevels not the same one that the first seven go in. I didn’t notice this when I pulled the old ones out. So it the last plate on a stock install still supposed to go in the shorter grooves? Also the kid at the the store asked me if I was using synthetic or mineral oil. Where and what is this mineral oil he speaks of? He said synthetic is harder on the friction plates, but can’t change back to mineral if it is synthetic- I have no clue. And finally have seen people mention oil for noisy lifters - the one I remember was Motul, not amsoil? Or rotella seemed to be the other one. Is this correct?

Thanks for your patience. And happy for of July my southern riders

What is the link for the friction plates on gadgets page, I can’t seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry friction plates wasn’t in gadgets... just know I read the last one goes in the short bevels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts