Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A pretty good visual example of why we shouldn't EXPECT others to see us.

Scott

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He appears to be doing everything right, but is nearly invisable. Good reason for a light bar.
Yep. Three lights up front. I think it's just about as important as a brake light.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Good example photo. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Happens here every day, goes as a compliment to the high number of cars around here with only one headlight.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow, that's great!

If you want something scary, next time you're in your car/truck and see a motorcycle coming and you're stopped at an intersection, time how long the bike 'hides' behind your windshield pillar. And imagine glancing quickly over at the same moment it's going by, then turning your head to look the other way, and pulling out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Yep. Three lights up front. I think it's just about as important as a brake light. Scott
three across is good. three at differing levels is... different.. as is "what the hell is that thing?".. gets their attention, mebbe gets them slowing down?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I dunno. I was able to spot the cycle quite quickly. The unevenness and shape of the headlights gave the rider away.
I did too when someone said "Hey, look at this picture and try to find something motorcycle related", but it may be a different story if you're just making a quick glance in that direction. It's more of a 'check out how easily bikers can disappear, so be careful' thing rather than trying to find waldo.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did too when someone said "Hey, look at this picture and try to find something motorcycle related", but it may be a different story if you're just making a quick glance in that direction. It's more of a 'check out how easily bikers can disappear, so be careful' thing rather than trying to find waldo.
Do you think if we wore red and white stripes they would actively look for us??;)

And yes, you're right.
It's about how NEARLY invisible he is. If he were completely invisible there wouldn't be much use in posting the pic. :p

Scott

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Do you think if we wore red and white stripes they would actively look for us??;) And yes, you're right.
It's about how NEARLY invisible he is. If he were completely invisible there wouldn't be much use in posting the pic. :p Scott
sometimes we approach the problem(s) from the wrong perspective(angle) and come up with less than effective solutions..

1st. People do not see with their Eyes.. they see with their brains.. they see what they are expecting to see.. if they are not motorcyclist, then that SMALL piece of information is not part of psychic and they dont connect the dots..

2nd. Colors, Strips, Flashy stuff.. well in this pic it is dusk. and there is very little light to bounce off even the most reflective outfits.. that probably would even confuse non motorcyclist as to what they mite be looking at.

3rd. Whatever somebody mite be seeing, decoding with thier brain, making even minimal effort to put this information into some coherent place in their ability to form logic..

4th. We dont represent a THREAT. we present a TOO SMALL image to be threatening.. That is the KEY TOP component to how people do Navigate Space and Motion.. Identify Threats and mitigate them.

5.. even if somehow our presence was duly noted.. chances of anybody giving credence (right of way) thought that this image represents a living breathing human being and any improper action they mite do could seriously affect the continuance of that.

6.. so IF you want to First get Noticed and then get some minimal amount of creditibility on usage of Space and Time ie Roadway,, is to project a LARGE IMAGE and move in motions that are somewhat Threatening..

I know this is counter intuitive to being a good citizen and representative of the m/c community and all that hogwash.. but hey you want to go home in one piece to your fambly an all otter such stuff.. GO BIG and then GO HOME. poncho

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sometimes we approach the problem(s) from the wrong perspective(angle) and come up with less than effective solutions..

1st. People do not see with their Eyes.. they see with their brains.. they see what they are expecting to see.. if they are not motorcyclist, then that SMALL piece of information is not part of psychic and they dont connect the dots..

2nd. Colors, Strips, Flashy stuff.. well in this pic it is dusk. and there is very little light to bounce off even the most reflective outfits.. that probably would even confuse non motorcyclist as to what they mite be looking at.

3rd. Whatever somebody mite be seeing, decoding with thier brain, making even minimal effort to put this information into some coherent place in their ability to form logic..

4th. We dont represent a THREAT. we present a TOO SMALL image to be threatening.. That is the KEY TOP component to how people do Navigate Space and Motion.. Identify Threats and mitigate them.

5.. even if somehow our presence was duly noted.. chances of anybody giving credence (right of way) thought that this image represents a living breathing human being and any improper action they mite do could seriously affect the continuance of that.

6.. so IF you want to First get Noticed and then get some minimal amount of creditibility on usage of Space and Time ie Roadway,, is to project a LARGE IMAGE and move in motions that are somewhat Threatening..

I know this is counter intuitive to being a good citizen and representative of the m/c community and all that hogwash.. but hey you want to go home in one piece to your fambly an all otter such stuff.. GO BIG and then GO HOME. poncho
But, red and white stripes are what Waldo wore.
So,...their brain is going to subconsciously try to find us...like it's a game. It'll be fun for em; if we can get them off the phone long enough.:D

I have a white helmet and the Voyager comes with multiple lights up front and good running/brake lighting in the rear.
I try to watch my surroundings and use lane position and speed to avoid places where it's hard to see me.

But, you're right.
Our eyes may collect the data; but its our brain that processes it.
And a big part of it's design is to discard irrelevant information without wasting valuable time processing it.
The task isn't only to make yourself visible to the eyes; but to be relevant to the brain.

Scott

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
But, red and white stripes are what Waldo wore.
So,...their brain is going to subconsciously try to find us...like it's a game. It'll be fun for em; if we can get them off the phone long enough.:D Scott
for some, finding Waldo is all about running him over. end. game over. ponchout

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
for some, finding Waldo is all about running him over. end. game over. ponchout
In that case, maybe we could change the game to "where's Jason".:D

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great example Scott of being hidden in plain sight.

My two cents on bein seen. Drivers aren't geared to see us, no scratch that.

Typical drivers are not geared to see anything other than other tin tops, trucks or other titans of the road.

We can't stop tin top turkeys from pulling out or turning across our paths, why? Cos ya can't cure being human eh.

One great saying my dad taught me when learning to drive......."heads n hupcaps"

"If ya can't see their face or the hub caps are rollin, apply the brakes"

After 28years of ridin n drivin (sheesh i feel old sayin that!) & rememberin this simple ditty it has helped save my backside on many an occasion allowing me time to react.

Fingers crossed it continues to do so.

In a bit of sad irony. My dad Always instilled road safety in us kids, he was like that and yet we lost him to the roads. Life eh

Everytime i saddle up, his ditty pops into my head, guess what I'm teaching my boys ;)

Thats my take on things, have fun, stay shiny side up eh.

Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts