Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for storage options for my new 2019 Vulcan S Cafe. I was pondering oem saddlebags but then stumbled upon the soft top case so I ordered it. Should be here in a day or 2. The installation is straight forward but what i am worried about is the bag moving around scuffing up the clear coat on my rear fender. Has anyone noticed this happening with the this rear bag? And if so how do you prevent the bag from scuffing your paint?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have it, and haven't removed it to look. But, also, it doesn't move about, so I'm expecting it's fine underneath.

Gerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
... what i am worried about is the bag moving around scuffing up the clear coat on my rear fender. Has anyone noticed this happening with the this rear bag? And if so how do you prevent the bag from scuffing your paint?
The top case comes with a long strip of adhesive clear coat protective tape to apply to your fender where you think it may rub. I didn’t bother with it on mine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The top case comes with a long strip of adhesive clear coat protective tape to apply to your fender where you think it may rub. I didn’t bother with it on mine.
I have the top case with matte black paint and it will definitely scuff the paint. Strongly suggest you cover all the areas with which it will come into contact.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FYI, I've had it on the bike for 3 years and I'm still happy with it. If you're a good packer, you'll be surprised how much will fit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the top case with matte black paint and it will definitely scuff the paint. Strongly suggest you cover all the areas with which it will come into contact.

Agreed! Mine scuffed pretty bad.

Just buy some Wundow sun shade static cling and put it underneatht the bag. Ebay : Cling window

Thats how I stopped mine from scratching

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I actually just installed mine earlier in the week and haven’t ridden with it yet. I’ll pull it off and apply some of the included protective clear tape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed them on both my wife's bike and mine. While we don't have matte paint bikes, I did get some Clear vinyl tape and put it on the rear fender before I installed them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agreed! Mine scuffed pretty bad.

Just buy some Wundow sun shade static cling and put it underneatht the bag. Ebay : Cling window

Thats how I stopped mine from scratching
[/QUOTE
Hey B3Hulk - So that ebay sun shade will stop it from scratching ? no need to vinyl wrap the fender ?

Im keen on the bag as id rather that then a backpack but dont want it scratching the matte paint

·
Registered
114 Posts
The oem tail bag looks great and has a decent capacity but I was looking at options for loading a backpack on the rear (for added convenience and even more capacity). I reckon a fender bib would be a good bet, preferably a rubberized one that fits the KVS (if any exist); https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mustang-fender-bib-for-harley

Not sure about the best way to strap a backpack down without pannier racks but I like the Shad mount and cases for the KVS, which should work well for this purpose.

To my surprise the oem solo rack has a max load of only a couple of kilos, which is a bummer for heavy backpackers because I think it looks cool.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The oem tail bag looks great and has a decent capacity but I was looking at options for loading a backpack on the rear (for added convenience and even more capacity). I reckon a fender bib would be a good bet, preferably a rubberized one that fits the KVS (if any exist); https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mustang-fender-bib-for-harley

Not sure about the best way to strap a backpack down without pannier racks but I like the Shad mount and cases for the KVS, which should work well for this purpose.

To my surprise the oem solo rack has a max load of only a couple of kilos, which is a bummer for heavy backpackers because I think it looks cool.
I think your best bet would be a sissy bar with a rack, then use a backpack that slides over the sissy bar.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks. That's clearly how you'd do it for a 2-up arrangement on the bike. A couple of concerns however:

(1) An experienced guy here http://motorbikes.blog/2016/09/16/bit-more-work-on-the-vulcan/ notes that the Hepco & Becker sissy bar rack is designed to hold 5kg max. Not much of a problem in most cases when panniers are fitted, but could be when they're not. Not sure if he's correct as the rack looks pretty sturdy and I can't find mention of the load from H&B themselves, but still. Perhaps it's more to do with potential handling issues caused by a heavy load further back, which would be another concern.

(2) Unless you ride two-up most of the time you may feel that a sissy bar cramps your style! (Or not.)

Just briefly thinking out loud for the sake of anybody else wanting to pack a pack - I realize the tail bag is the thing here and I haven't even searched for dedicated threads yet...

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I've got the OEM solo rack (and a passenger seat, they get swapped out regularly depending on my needs for the day) and can say from experience you can load at least 25 lbs (11-ish kg) on it w/o any problems. Kawi's weight restriction is just them covering their ass.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I could be wrong but from a theory standpoint I'm not sure it's perfectly safe to go that heavy (https://www.vulcanforums.com/threads/solo-luggage-rack-weight-limit.197913/post-2243321). You've got two bolts on the centre taking all the stress of the lean on both sides. Personally, I wouldn't want to test them out on the road with heavy luggage strapped on the back, at least not over time. And in any case, one of the reasons for loading extra luggage is that it gives you the flexibility of going heavier if necessary (15-20kg+), which can be a big bonus given the limitations of small panniers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts