Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4,000 on my 900 Custom and original factory Dunlop tires. The tires look new, so no problem with tire wear. However, the rear tire has become more and more squirrely over the miles. It has always been noticeable when accelerating out of a slow turn or downshifting into a very slow turn but now it is, slippery!! I inflated the rear tire to 38 psi for a better ride early on but I think it is time to go back to 32 psi and see it that helps. Otherwise something else is wrong or I need new tires.

I am open to suggestions or opinions. Just don't tell me not to downshift in slow turns. lol
thanks

·
Banned
334 Posts
When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?
I am always checking tire pressure...rear tire is at 38 psi and I confirmed that today.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Make sure you have the rear wheel aligned correctly. It doesn't have to be off by much to make the bike get weird in the corners. That said, start looking at new tires now. Once you've passed 4k on the OEM dunny, it's going to melt away like warm butter. Easily the worst tire I've ridden. At 4k mine looked about half gone. At 6k I had no tread at all over easily half the width of the tread area. When I traded in my first Metz at 14.4k I had visible tread all the way around the tire and it never felt like I was riding on worn rubber. Good luck workin it out, and ride safe!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does matching the marked lines on the rear fork (both sides same) line up the tire, also?

·
Registered
132 Posts
This may be inappropriate but I'm not proper - are you a heavy guy? If so you may want to up the pressure a little more. I doubt that's the problem though. I only rode on the stock tires for maybe 100 miles and they were damn near worn out but I could still tell they were crap. I put a set of Pirelli Rt. 66's on and the bike handles like a dream.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am always checking tire pressure...rear tire is at 38 psi and I confirmed that today.
Are you sure the tire gauge is accurate?

Some of them are off quite a bit, and can change. Two weeks ago I threw away (broke in half first, for good measure) a pencil-style gauge that had gone off by about 5 PSI.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The OM on my '09 V900 Custom says that rear tire pressure up to 215 lb. load is 28, not 38. Maybe that's your problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am 175lbs, I reduced it to 32 psi and will see how it runs. I road today but did not push it hard. I did notice it slip somewhat when I hit my rear brake at about 15 mph. I think it's the tire but not sure. I'M going to put it on the jack and check everything real good. I have 3 tire gages so I will try all three,also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are you sure the tire gauge is accurate?

Some of them are off quite a bit, and can change. Two weeks ago I threw away (broke in half first, for good measure) a pencil-style gauge that had gone off by about 5 PSI.
:) ...Ok, I have 3 gages. My usual gage reads 2 lb higher than one of my extra gages and 4lbs higher than the other.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I dont think 2lbs psi will make a big difference, but try going by the middle gage. Unlikely, but may also want to make sure your spokes are properly tightened, if you have spoked wheel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This may be inappropriate but I'm not proper - are you a heavy guy? If so you may want to up the pressure a little more. I doubt that's the problem though. I only rode on the stock tires for maybe 100 miles and they were damn near worn out but I could still tell they were crap. I put a set of Pirelli Rt. 66's on and the bike handles like a dream.
I switched from Metzelers to 66's this season and I'm real pleased with the performance especially cornering and on wet roads. I rarely scraped my floorboards with the Metzelers but it happens a lot with the Pirellis.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just bought Pirelli Night Dragons for my 900 Custom. So far so good, but I haven't put a ton of miles on them yet due to the season. I replaced the stock Dunlop's at 8200mi, which is pretty good for those tires from what I've heard. The front tire could have stayed on, but i wanted to replace them simultaneously. The only thing I noticed about the old Dunlop's is they were more prone to slide under heavy braking. Pretty scary at times when you're trying to stop in a hurry!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not sure what the shocks are on the 9s, but if your shocks are not set the same on both sides you will have issues with the rear end as well. I never liked Dunlops. I only ride Metzler 880s. Opinions vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure what the shocks are on the 9s, but if your shocks are not set the same on both sides you will have issues with the rear end as well. I never liked Dunlops. I only ride Metzler 880s. Opinions vary. Good luck.
The 900 Custom that the OP has uses a single rear shock. I suspect it may be that the stock tire is just crap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I'll check them out. Reducing the air pressure did help somewhat.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm surprised "The stock Dunlops are crap!" took so long to show up. That's what I though it was all along. I didn't care for them and replaced them at 5500 miles with ME880s. The bike rides and handles much better now. Also popular are the Pirelli Night Dragons and MT66s and the Avon Venoms. There are other options, too, but those seem to get the most traction (see what I did there?) from riders here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it's the OEM tires!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts