Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm the third owner. It was the first (original) owner who hardly rode the bike. It was then sold in September 2021 with only 80 miles on the odometer. The second owner added about 1300 in about 2 months he has had it. Immediately after purchase he took it to the shop where they did an oil change and a fuel flush (?) and a chain clean/lube based on the service invoice I got from him. No other service records/history I am aware of. MD safety inspection (required for me to register the bike) also passed with flying color but I am not sure how much they go into the details re: brake/coolant fluids with those... (probably not that much).
I totally Agree w/Sabre-t; Any time 1 buys a used Motorized vehicle,Car or Bike,it certainly Doesn't hurt to change All the fluids-&as far as the coolant goes,I change mine Regardless of what the book says, once a year is fine by my ol dog-/its kinda funny, my dealership(Yes,the 1's w/the incompetent techs-lol)tell me that after 2 years its recommended to change the radiator coolant hoses? Yet its Also funny, that by keeping my bikes coolant changed on a Yearly basis,I hardly Ever hear my coolant fan kick in/on.....lol:) Enjoy your new ride,These Vulcan s's Really don't need that much maintenance/'Pretty Darn Reliable engine/bike:);):cool::love::unsure::LOL:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I totally Agree w/Sabre-t; Any time 1 buys a used Motorized vehicle,Car or Bike,it certainly Doesn't hurt to change All the fluids-&as far as the coolant goes,I change mine Regardless of what the book says, once a year is fine by my ol dog-/its kinda funny, my dealership(Yes,the 1's w/the incompetent techs-lol)tell me that after 2 years its recommended to change the radiator coolant hoses? Yet its Also funny, that by keeping my bikes coolant changed on a Yearly basis,I hardly Ever hear my coolant fan kick in/on.....lol:) Enjoy your new ride,These Vulcan s's Really don't need that much maintenance/'Pretty Darn Reliable engine/bike:);):cool::love::unsure::LOL:
Also 1 other note/*If you are going to be 1 of those people whom ever has to call anything into question about the engine(God,I hope not),w/your local dealership that is too say/I would run the Kawasaki coolant in the bike, therefore your Not leaving anything for them to question/Though as I've said-These Kawasaki 650 engines are very Durable:):unsure::LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
I'm the third owner. It was the first (original) owner who hardly rode the bike. It was then sold in September 2021 with only 80 miles on the odometer. The second owner added about 1300 in about 2 months he has had it. Immediately after purchase he took it to the shop where they did an oil change and a fuel flush (?) and a chain clean/lube based on the service invoice I got from him. No other service records/history I am aware of. MD safety inspection (required for me to register the bike) also passed with flying color but I am not sure how much they go into the details re: brake/coolant fluids with those... (probably not that much).
A state safety inspection is not going to tell you how much moisture is in the brake fluid or if there is any trash in the bottom of the reservoirs that could stop up the ports. At best, they will just check the level. If you have no record of the brake fluid ever being changed, then it would be prudent to change it before next riding season.

Reactions: Szy_szka

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A state safety inspection is not going to tell you how much moisture is in the brake fluid or if there is any trash in the bottom of the reservoirs that could stop up the ports. At best, they will just check the level. If you have no record of the brake fluid ever being changed, then it would be prudent to change it before next riding season.
Looks like I am going to be quite busy come spring. :) Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it; always been a fan of a DIY approach and have successfully applied to all my cars and bicycles as far as basic maintenance is concerned. Thanks again for all the tips!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like I am going to be quite busy come spring. :) Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it; always been a fan of a DIY approach and have successfully applied to all my cars and bicycles as far as basic maintenance is concerned. Thanks again for all the tips!
The most maintenance this bike needs is probably oil changes&Keep the chain lubed:):cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried to search and was unable to find out a definite answer: what color is coolant in Vulcans 650S? Tried to shine the light through the expansion level bottle and I swear I see blue but saw some comments about 'adding green coolant.'

I am asking because I would like to top off the coolant (with the right one of course) to sit somewhere in between L and H in the expansion tank. Right now I am just at the L level. Again, not looking for a full flush, just a top-off.
Go green!

·
Registered
1600 nomad, Ducati 696 monster, 72 Suzuki t250 , 98 dyna glide , Suzuki gs 750
20 Posts
Oh for fuck sake!
the correct colour for top ups is CLEAR its called water and comes from the tap! distilled is better if you must pay for it.
All ways drain flush and refill with quality coolant that suits your riding conditions.
not rocket science

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh for fuck sake!
the correct colour for top ups is CLEAR its called water and comes from the tap! distilled is better if you must pay for it.
All ways drain flush and refill with quality coolant that suits your riding conditions.
not rocket science
Well nuthin like gettin right to the point,Grumpy old bastard-yea,any only coolant will do(unless you want to Void yer kaw warranty!!?!!:)-lol:) &yea,toppin it off w/distilled water certainly won't hurt,coolant is coolant,it's Not like we're runnin aan 800 horse drag bike-lol:) thats why I ( I Guess) I run the kawasaki coolant(Even if it is Over priced). As far as runnin Blue,Green,or Even Pink,I do'nt think it matters what Color the coolant is as long as it's been rated for a motorcycles engines use:) As silly as it is-it's almost as Crazy as some of the Debates over Which oil is better than another\I don't care What fluids we're talkin about;Brake fluid,coolant or oil/as long as their changed on a regular basis(&Not mixed),Everything should be copasetic:) Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:):rolleyes:;):cautious::cool::love::p:unsure:(y)

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,163 Posts
If you perform every maintenance recommended in the manual on the schedule they suggest:
  1. Your dealership will be in love with you
  2. Your dealership will never go out of business
  3. You will have the best maintained best performing bike on the planet
  4. you will be a very poor man

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
If you perform every maintenance recommended in the manual on the schedule they suggest:
  1. Your dealership will be in love with you
  2. Your dealership will never go out of business
  3. You will have the best maintained best performing bike on the planet
  4. you will be a very poor man
My dealership does not like me. I do my own maintenance. A lot cheaper and I know it's done right. ;)

Reactions: Szy_szka

·
Registered
Vulcan S 2017
18 Posts
After checking the Motul website, it turned out that they think MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE -35°C and MOTUL MOTOCOOL EXPERT -37°C are suitable for Vulcan. After reading the specifications, I chose MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE -35°C as corresponding to the factory antifreeze. I didn't notice that its color was red.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
After checking the Motul website, it turned out that they think MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE -35°C and MOTUL MOTOCOOL EXPERT -37°C are suitable for Vulcan. After reading the specifications, I chose MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE -35°C as corresponding to the factory antifreeze. I didn't notice that its color was red.
The Motul Motocool Expert -37°C is NOT good for motorcycles. It contains borates which are not recommended for motorcycles. Borates can do nasty things to engines not designed to handle them. I tried to find out what type of coolant the Factory Line -35°C is, but even the MSDS does not list what corrosion inhibitors are used. Before using it, if it were me, I would contact Motul directly and ask if it is OAT. If they weren't willing to tell me, I would take it back. If it is OAT, then there is your proof that color cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Motul Motocool Expert -37°C is NOT good for motorcycles. It contains borates which are not recommended for motorcycles. Borates can do nasty things to engines not designed to handle them. I tried to find out what type of coolant the Factory Line -35°C is, but even the MSDS does not list what corrosion inhibitors are used. Before using it, if it were me, I would contact Motul directly and ask if it is OAT. If they weren't willing to tell me, I would take it back. If it is OAT, then there is your proof that color cannot be trusted.
1st of all,I'm Really Glad too see you Care so much,Sabre-t/Now really,All this NON SENSE about engine coolant,Really? My '17 ol dog is roughly 4-4 1/2 yrs.old,&around the 2nd year that I've owned my ride,I tryed out the "Blue" coolant engine ice..... I honestly thought it would keep my bike runnin a lil cooler,but in all actuality it really Did'nt make that much of a difference that I could tell\&let's be real here,my '17 is totally stock,Maybe I'd be a lil more worried if there were any mods done to my engine,but quite honestly,no matter winter weather(which here in S.Fla.is a Total Joke-lol:) ),or Hot summer weather,my bike really Has'nt ever run too hot/That bein said,The Kawasaki coolant,which I beleive I pay $17-20 bucks a container for(I think it comes in an 1 quart cont,) has proven to be reliable enuff for my ol dog which is around 400 miles away from hittin 40,000 on the odometer(Like that Matters?). &Again,quite honestly,and/or to put it bluntly-WHEN I DO CHANGE MY COOLANT,I USE *1 qrt, of new coolant&top it off w/the old coolant thats been drain'd-Changin my coolant that way once a year really has'nt hurt my dog:) As much as No 1 on this forum really wants to hear it,IF I was to Worry about Any of my Bikes Fluids,my 1st&Foremost concern would be using A GOOD OIL,But thats just my opinion:) Ride Well& keep the ruuber on the Road:)-& Mr.(or Ms.) danailp,quit(Please)worryin about needin any "Special" coolants\if these Vulcan S's Needed any special coolants,I'm almost Sure if that was the case,You'd heard it from @least 1 or more members-WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINIONS-COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM,But I Honestly Don't beleive that any1 here will give you Bad advice:)(y):love::cool:;):sneaky::unsure::geek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
'Kinda Scares me that "They Think"(?) huh? If they 'think its suitable,Well,Quite honestly-a 2nd opinion Never Hurts/Whenever I'm unsure about something on my bike I'll get opinions from @least 2 or more Techs/shops:) :unsure::cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried to search and was unable to find out a definite answer: what color is coolant in Vulcans 650S? Tried to shine the light through the expansion level bottle and I swear I see blue but saw some comments about 'adding green coolant.'

I am asking because I would like to top off the coolant (with the right one of course) to sit somewhere in between L and H in the expansion tank. Right now I am just at the L level. Again, not looking for a full flush, just a top-off.
I used the Asian blue antifreeze that is boron and silicate free. This is available at Walmart for under $10 a gallon.

·
Registered
Vulcan S 2017
18 Posts
Here are links to the description of the antifreeze from the manufacturer. Everyone can read and decide for themselves whether they are appropriate.

MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE

MOTUL MOTOCOOL EXPERT

·
Registered
6 Posts

I bought the Kawasaki brand for the Vulcan. It is green C

21 - 40 of 43 Posts