Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've installed a Kawi Vulcan windshield onto my '09 Classic, but ran into a few snags along the way.

For one, didn't come with any instructions, but easily figured out from Classic LT parts diagrams on the web.

The issues are that once one side of the windshield was bolted on to the brackets(lightly for maximum ease of construction), the other side I had to call a friend over to compress the parts together enough to get the nuts on the other side.
It is as if it was the improper fit and the windshield was too wide for the brackets that mount onto the tree and forks. However, I double checked part numbers and everything seems OK.
Also the windshield wont drop to its lowest point due to it hitting on top of the headlight and not going around it like it appears to in photographs.

Just curious if this is a common thing or if there is some little thing I'm missing here. As far as I can tell from diagrams I have all parts and everything is installed correctly, but yet it fits like the wrong part.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Below are some pics I just took of my LT windshield. I have lowers installed on my bike so I have one extra bracket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, your pictures lead me to believe the parts guy at the dealer gave me some mystery windshield instead of the proper one. Looks to be only 7" cutout for light and my brackets seem to put the windshield out farther from the tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
The parts you have do not appear to be for a 900 LT. My brackets that are mounted on the inside portion of the shield do not have the addition slot. Your bracket on the outside with the Vulcan logo appears to have 2 extra fasteners and extend to far past the brackets that go up and down. Your shield looks to narrow as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Crooksies are close to what is on my 09 LT. What you have don't look close at all. Did you check the part # on the box to against the Kaw web site to confirm it ?

I recently installed the shorter Kaw shield, and with the stock hardware it was necessary to pull the windshield in at the edges to get the brackets to come together. I assumed this might be normal to add the correct curvature to the shield.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first warning sign should have been that it did not come in a box. Windshield was bubble wrapped and foam covered, but separate from the mounting hardware, so part # for the whole unit was missing. The part number I checked was on the glass part of the windshield, which seems to be standard to all vulcans.

Bad part about the whole deal is the dealership I purchased from is a 5.5hour drive away from where I live, but armed with new information I'll have to see what they can do for me. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suspicion confirmed, the windshield I was sold for my 900 Classic was actually for a 2006 1600 nomad. Sending me a new one today.

Lesson learned, double check what the parts guy gives you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts