Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im glad to find a forum where I can share my passion for my favorite bike, I used to have a classic 900lt wich was great but a couple months ago I found a 2011 1700cc VAQUERO & I just couldn't let it pass... everything is fine except for the fact that I recently notice that the odometer is running faster tan it should & so far ther's no warning or failure signes in the gauges or display, any info or coments are very welcome...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Hello everyone, Im glad to find a forum where I can share my passion for my favorite bike, I used to have a classic 900lt wich was great but a couple months ago I found a 2011 1700cc VAQUERO & I just couldn't let it pass... everything is fine except for the fact that I recently notice that the odometer is running faster tan it should & so far ther's no warning or failure signes in the gauges or display, any info or coments are very welcome...
That seems to be a complaint from most, anywhere from 5 to 10% off. I've used my GPS to compare the speeds and found mine is off about 10% [speedo displays faster] on my Nomad above 40-45 MPH. I adjust for it in my head. Some have gone out and picked up a speedo healer. There are several threads on this & other forums. In a nut shell, it's normal for these bikes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Every bike I've owned read at least 5% high. My Voyager is off about 5% at highway speeds. Had a KLR250 that was off just shy of 20%. Thought I had the fastest 250 ever made right up until strapping the GPS on it. LOL 70mph indicated turned out to be a very underwhelming 57mph on GPS.

·
Registered
736 Posts
All bikes since 19xx (dont remember the year) have the speedo display faster than actual speed. It a law in the US. Some bikes can correct this with different size tires than was sold with the bike new.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have a 2011 Nomad, and my speedo was 5% fast. I bought a Speedohealer to fix it. My friend has a 2014 Honda Valkyrie, and his speedo is dead on. There is no excuse for the speedo to be 5% off. None. It is a super simple fix. They should fix it.

Is the law really that the speedometer should be 5% fast? Can you forward a link to that law? I guess Honda is in trouble with their Valkyrie being dead on.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
All bikes since 19xx (dont remember the year) have the speedo display faster than actual speed. It a law in the US. Some bikes can correct this with different size tires than was sold with the bike new.
I would like a reference to that, too. 49 CFR 393.82 requires that buses, trucks and truck-tractors have speedometers that are within 10% (no mention of which direction) of actual speed. 49 CFR 571.123 specifies where a motorcycle speedometer must be located and when it must be illuminated. I can't find anything that requires this of cars or motorcycles and nothing that says that speedos must err on the high side. I have referenced the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) many times and have never seen this.

What I have found is that a lot of auto and motorcycle mfg err on the high side (if at all) so that they cannot be sued for causing a driver to believe that they are going slower than they actually are if there is an accident.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If you mean speedometer, they are off, reading you are going faster than you really are. The Odometer however, the meter of miles traveled, should be accurate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you mean speedometer, they are off, reading you are going faster than you really are. The Odometer however, the meter of miles traveled, should be accurate.

Well i guess if he's going Faster the mileage will be added Quicker..:grin2:

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Nomad speedo read high by 6.1% and I corrected it with a Speedo DRD. I didn't check the odo beforehand but now my odo reads about 6% low. So, this leads me to believe the odo was correct prior to the speedo correction. Strange!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If i recall correctly around 2010 there was a class action lawsuit against Kawi due to odometers reading higher mileage then actual. I don't remember the outcome or which models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts