Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode 230 miles yesterday and noticed that my trip odometer matches up with my GPS to within a tenth of a mile. I find this odd considering the speedometer is the typical 10% off. Did Kawasaki do this on purpose? For all the people that have changed out their pulleys, does that now make the odometer read slow? Just a couple of questions I had after I checked my mileage yesterday.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes. With my overdrive front pulley and an oversized Commander II rear tire my odometer reads about 6.5% slow. In other words when my odometer shows I have travelled 100 miles I have actually gone 106.5 miles. I have checked it many times on the milepost markers and this is what I keep getting. I have not tried it on a gps. My speedo is spot on though and I check it regularly on radar speed signs in my area.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
With front and rear pulley my odometer reads about a mile less every 10 miles it is almost 10 miles less every 100 miles gps distance.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are a lot of theories but there's nothing "official". Anyone who tells you they know exactly why it's like that is guessing. The fact is that's just the way it's programmed. It seems the odometer is accurate, and the speedo is a little off. Just is what it is!

I just never worry about it. Neither a slight difference on the odo or speedo are a big deal, IMHO.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a lot of theories but there's nothing "official". Anyone who tells you they know exactly why it's like that is guessing. The fact is that's just the way it's programmed. It seems the odometer is accurate, and the speedo is a little off. Just is what it is!

I just never worry about it. Neither a slight difference on the odo or speedo are a big deal, IMHO.
Its not a big deal to me, just something that I thought of. Just found it a bit weird.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did the same as Dirtwiz and had the exact same results. I'm actually happy with them because knowing my speed is more important than knowing my distance.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I use 34/62 Baron pulleys and speedohealer. Speedometer bang-on with GPS, but odometer is a bit off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts