Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after the Kawi dealer had 9Ball all week for a rear wheel and belt adjustment because some dingleberry didn't print my work order, I was riding home from work when I noticed my blinkers weren't working. At all. On either side and on either end. So, I reached down and checked the ignition key, thinking the heavy keychain I'd put on it had maybe (my brain works oddly) twisted it partly away from the "on" position, just enough to break the circuit for the blinkers. When I flipped it back on, the blinkers worked fine. Made it home, and back to work the next day with no issues.

Then, coming home for lunch that next, day, it happened again. After some troubleshooting, I noticed they blinkers would accelerate and peter out when the engine vibrations picked up. Naturally, I figured it was the turn signal relay. And naturally, it was late Saturday afternoon and both metric bike dealers in town were closed. On a whim I called the Harley dealer, and (for a wonder) got a pretty helpful dude named Nick who said he could get me a universal replacement for $15, but he'd have to order it.

I told Nick I might give him a call back on Monday after I talked to the Kawi dealer, but earlier today I was griping about it to one of my guys at work (a Harley guy also, Street Glide rider) who said I should check the connection at the switch. I honestly hadn't thought of that. When I got home today, I plugged the regulator back in, and the blinkers worked...until I wiggled the wire loom coming out of the housing on the handlebar. So I took it apart and found the ground wire loose!

Anyway, long winded story for sure, but maybe it'll save some other guy a trip to the dealer, or $15 in parts that he won't need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I only place the bike key in the ignition. Learned a long time ago that the extra weight of keyrings tear up the switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts