Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a 2009 VN 900 classic yesterday, it has 4000km on the clock.

I've noticed an odd noise that sounds something like when you turn the ignition on without starting the bike, ( almost like a fuel pump whining)however, the whining noise continues when you start it and doesn't seem to stop

It's difficult to explain, but seems electrical in nature...there's also a bit of a clicking noise when reving the bike.

Perhaps these could be quite normal sounds for a fuel injected bike, but I'd rather check to make sure it's not something serious.

Could someone please assist or let me know what this could be?

Regards Dean

·
Registered
987 Posts
Fuel noises

The fuel pump buzz and injector clicks are normal. There are many threads about them so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Absolutely!

It can be 'odd' if you aren't used to a fuel injected bike, but the fuel system on this bike is just noisy! The whining is the fuel pump, the clicking is those oddly noisy injectors.

Some of us put loud pipes on (or debaffled the stockers) to drown out all of those Kawi-clicks :p

The only noise I'd be particularly concerned with that I would describe as 'whirring' or 'whining' is the stator. Sounds like a spaceship, comes from the left side, and changes with RPM's but not with speed, gear, or clutch. That, however, doesn't make that noise when the bike is off. (The running theory is that the whining is caused by expanded shielding on the failed stator rubbing and wearing before the stator fails completely)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely!

It can be 'odd' if you aren't used to a fuel injected bike, but the fuel system on this bike is just noisy! The whining is the fuel pump, the clicking is those oddly noisy injectors.

Some of us put loud pipes on (or debaffled the stockers) to drown out all of those Kawi-clicks :p

The only noise I'd be particularly concerned with that I would describe as 'whirring' or 'whining' is the stator. Sounds like a spaceship, comes from the left side, and changes with RPM's but not with speed, gear, or clutch. That, however, doesn't make that noise when the bike is off. (The running theory is that the whining is caused by expanded shielding on the failed stator rubbing and wearing before the stator fails completely)

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for the info Roman. The whining or whirring spaceship noise of the stator you refer to, does that sound a bit like the landing gear of an airplane that seems to stay on all the time, or is that only on start up...? It almost seems that if I'm stationary, bike running and out of gear, if i put the turn signal on, the tone of the odd noise changes...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hahaha Dean is a very good mate and VP of our MC.
I did warn him about some of the weird noises these bikes make, that being a contributing factor for me having gutted my pipes.
I told him to post it here knowing the good advice he would get. Maybe I should have told him how good the bikes warning system is

·
Registered
162 Posts
Slash, which MC is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
162 Posts
South Africa chapters only or are you international? Curious as I'm looking for a club to join.

·
Registered
246 Posts
South African only so far brother although one of our founding members lives in the states and has been talking about starting a chapter there.
Oir club like many others does not accept applications to join.
We are extremely picky about who joins and its done by invite only.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Understood. I seem to be finding that a lot. I did do a google search and found there's a Crazy Horse MC in Florida (don't know if you're connected - doesn't sound like it).

Well, didn't hurt to ask. I'll find something at some point. WAYYY too many years with no friends to speak of (besides my awesome wife who lends a hand with every mod I make! God I love that woman!)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Dean, one add'l fuel pump note. When you turn the ignition on the fuel pump should run for several seconds. It will shut off once the pressure is up. That's when you hit the starter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just make friends with one or two blokes from an mc and ask if they would mind if you joined them on a run.
A few runs and bbq's later should see you with an invite into the mc if the guys like you.
I believe you guys have riding clubs there as well RC's I know there you can buy a patch and just join in the activities

1 - 13 of 13 Posts