Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
85 vulcan 750. My son bought it from a shop and it was fine for a week then it began to quit and not start. The shop went through it and fixed some issues and checked the stator and determined it was fine. Bike was great for about a month. It then began to not fire. Will turn over fine but will not start. Jump it or switch to a new battery and it fires right up. I charged the battery and rode it for about a half hour. I turned it off and fired it right back up. I rode some more and the same thing. Let it set for a half hour and tried to start it. It cranked over fine and seemed plenty hard enough to start. I ran the battery completely dead trying to start it. Pull the battery and put mine in and fired right up. I took the battery and had it charged and tested and it is fine....... any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Odd Issues

I am clueless.. do I start the bike then check the voltage at the battery terminals?
Hi OhioSteve, I'm San Diego, CA Steve. The problems you are describing are the same exact ones I was having when my stator went out. I know that there are other parts in the charging system that can prevent the battery from charging, but you said you had your stator checked and it was fine. I know my stator was still producing some juice, but not enough. Sfair was really helpful in determining my problem, so you can depend on his recommendations. I hope you figure it out soon.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The first thing you want to do is confirm the condition of the battery. Check the battery's voltage with the ignition off, it should be over 12.5 volts ideally. Then, start the bike and check the battery voltage at the terminals again, it should be close to 14 volts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...battery was tested at advance auto and is good. I will charge it and start the bike and test voltage and report back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys... haven't had time to work on the bike. Will let you know asap... I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok put the freshly charged battery in the bike and started it bike is missing like CRAZY.......turned it off and checked voltage from the battery and got 12.5............... Started the bike and again missing badly let it warm up a minute or so and checked voltage at 3000 RPM and got 13.65 +-.... the missing and running badly is EXACTLY what it was doing when he bought it and he took it back to the dealer and they fixed it for free... after a couple weeks we are right back where we started.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please keep in mind I have zero mechanical knowledge or ability, but you can pull the back plug wires off one at a time and it makes no difference in the way the bike runs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts