Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain how the front tire on my 2014 Voyager can dramatically wear more on the left side? I have 12,800 miles on my Voyager and am the original owner. Never been put down. Can the forks be out of alignment? This is something I have never seen before. Looking at the front tire you would think I only make left turns! Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Google - left side motorcycle tire wear
And you will find a lot of info.

Here are the top ones -
"There have been several reasons put forth as to why this occurs. Here are a few of the more common ones:
1- It depends on personal riding habits, motorcycle balance and the roads frequently traveled.
2- The existence of road crowns, allowing rainwater to drain from the center of the road to the sides, causing wear on the left side of the tires since you ride on the right side of the road.
3 - At intersections, left-hand turns are literally longer than right hand turns because of the necessity of positioning yourself in the rightmost lane of the road you’re entering, as demonstrated in the simple diagram below. This means that you literally ride a greater distance on the left side than the ride side of your tires."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Road crown is possible, if you ride such ALOT. More likely, either your fork is off quilter, maybe one shock not fully seated in top of triple tree, or bolts not torqued right. More likely, your left front brake may be dragging or at least braking harder than the right. Make sure your wheel Is true & bearings are lubed. Final guess would be a tire defect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
26k & 3 front tires on my Nomad riding daily with no unusual wear, but I park on carpet. Maybe parking on left side concrete extended periods makes it cup & wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from the pics; but to me, that doesn't look too severe.

Like VulcanDoc said, left side wear is normal.

Florida being flat and wet, road crown probably plays a significant part in your tire wear.
Give your riding conditions and style a bit of a review too.
Do you have a few round-abouts in your area? More left hand turns/curves your able to lean into? Finally, is there any place that you brake while leaning left?

N. TX is pretty flat too.:( There are a couple of clover leaf hiway exits and a few nice hard turns I get to lean into on my commute. My left side chicken strip on both of my bikes are just a bit smaller and the lean indicators on my left footboards/pegs are worn a little deeper.

BTW, what pressure are you running on that tire? Looks to me that your contact patch extends into the worn area, Kawasaki recommended pressures are considered low by most riders. Bumping it up to 36 will give longer wear and most people feel like it provides better control too. Rear is usually bumped up to 40 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
BTW, what pressure are you running on that tire? Looks to me that your contact patch extends into the worn area, Kawasaki recommended pressures are considered low by most riders. Bumping it up to 36 will give longer wear and most people feel like it provides better control too. Rear is usually bumped up to 40 or so.
Yeah, low pressure will cause the middle of the tire to buckle inward and cause more wear on each side of the middle, though it is usually a wider difference between the wear strips than what you have. Could be that you are not running severely low, but just a bit. Combine that with factors others have listed to cause more wear on the left side?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can someone explain how the front tire on my 2014 Voyager can dramatically wear more on the left side? I have 12,800 miles on my Voyager and am the original owner. Never been put down. Can the forks be out of alignment? This is something I have never seen before. Looking at the front tire you would think I only make left turns! Any ideas?
Wear on the left side of a tire is normal in countries where we drive on the right because we go farther and faster in left turns. Countries that drive on the left have right side tire wear.
Front tire wear and cupping can be reduced by installing a fork brace, I get 30,000 miles from front tires (Michelin C2) with very little cupping.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hummm, I have the same tire wear.....only 4k
Always keep tire inflation at max as stated in manual. Both front and rear. .....this is my first voyager.........and first abnormal tire wear problem. All my previous bikes, to include 1200 and 1500 goldwings didn't experience this issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Odd Tire Wear

Thanks all for the info. I do keep my tires inflated at Kawasaki recommendations. I'll try bumping it up a few pounds, see if it makes any difference. I guess I haven't put this many miles on a motorcycle in a long time. Don't remember ever having this happen before. I do appreciate all the advice, thanks again!:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts