Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, one last post from me on this. I put her up on the jack last night, loosened the axle nut, got the tensioners set to the same mark on both sides, then started the engine and watched how the belt rode in 1st gear. I already had my tension set pretty well so I was just concerned with alignment. I was happily suprised to see that the belt was tracking really well right down the middle of the rear pulley while slightly favoring the outside edge. It was not gouging at one side or the other.:cool:

The other big WOW moment was that I noticed all my noise was coming from the front pulley, not the rear one. I evidently couldn't tell this while sitting on the bike going down the road. I pulled off the front pulley cover, started it back spinning again and you could really hear the Scootworks pully squeaking a lot. The belt was riding right down the center of the pulley. And neither the belt nor the pulley were hitting anything, but the pulley was still squeaking. I then took Gulf Wax and pressed it against the belt while it was moving. I applied it to all 4 sides of the belt. And then there was silence.:D

Okay here are my completely non-scientific, unprofessional opinions. The stock pully is a cast iron part while Scootworks is machined aluminum. The stock pulley is spoked while the Scootworks is a solid piece. Also, the surface finish seems to be much smoother on the Scootworks. I think that the smoothness, the characteristics of aluminum, and maybe the resonance of a solid piece all lead to the rubber belt squeaking on the Scootworks pulley. The belt actually changes shape as it bends around any pulley. This creates a rubbing of the rubber lobes inside the notches on the pulley. The stock pulleys don't make noise because they are not as smooth and are made of a different metal. For the OD pulley you need to add a little wax (lubricant) to these areas to allow the belt to bend and move without squeaking. I am also betting that as the OD pulley ages, gets more scuffs, gets dirtier, etc. that the squeaking will diminish. For now, I am just going to apply some wax whenever I hear it start to squeal. So far I have an hour ride time on it since applying wax and she is still really quiet.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps someone.

PS - I absolutely love the change the OD pulley made in my bike's performance.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When I had mine I could go for that lunch with no noises but on longer rides the squeaking was so loud it was embarrassing cause everyone around me could here it even at high speeds. Mine may have been defective though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention the funny part of last night's project. While I had the bike up on the jack with the motor running and in gear, the whole thing is rocking gently back and forth on the stand because if the harmonic of the engine. My hand is now up inside the moving belt, holding the block of wax, trying to apply it to the belt/pulley without loosing any fingers or dropping the wax and letting it get pulled into the works. At this rather nervous point my 4 year old son comes up behind me ever so quietly and says, " DADDY! WHAT YA DOING!":eek::eek::eek:

Of course, being a good Daddy, I immediately screamed at him for scaring the crap out of me. I then felt like a real jerk and appologized for hurting his feelings. I know he didn't know any better. But man, he got me good. We were all okay after a good hug and an explanation of why it's not good to scare someone when they have their hands inside a running engine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you can't eliminate the noise by adjusting the belt tracking I would suspect a machining tolerance problem. Good pulleys come from billet 6061-t6 aluminum, don't know about scoots, but billet or cast isn't the problem, it's how the belt and pulley interface. Remove the pulley and look for an abnormal wear pattern emerging. Corrective action should be based on the root cause of the problem. Wax won't last long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I forgot to mention the funny part of last night's project. While I had the bike up on the jack with the motor running and in gear, the whole thing is rocking gently back and forth on the stand because if the harmonic of the engine. My hand is now up inside the moving belt, holding the block of wax, trying to apply it to the belt/pulley without loosing any fingers or dropping the wax and letting it get pulled into the works. At this rather nervous point my 4 year old son comes up behind me ever so quietly and says, " DADDY! WHAT YA DOING!":eek::eek::eek:

Of course, being a good Daddy, I immediately screamed at him for scaring the crap out of me. I then felt like a real jerk and appologized for hurting his feelings. I know he didn't know any better. But man, he got me good. We were all okay after a good hug and an explanation of why it's not good to scare someone when they have their hands inside a running engine.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D:D I am reading this at work and nearly fell outta my chair laughing (only cuz nothin bad happend of course!) I know just the thing- It seems my 5 yr old daughter has the same skills!!:)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well, i got some Gulf wax to try this out. Got all over the belt, but it still squeeked a bit, so i pulled the cover and rubbed the wax directly onto the pulley teeth... absolutely quiet.
Took it for a ride, and within 50 miles, it was squeeking again.
Guess i'll just live with it. I like the gearing change too much to put the stock pulley back on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeep Pirate,
Thank you so much for a very pleasant, and humorous, trip down memory lane! My kids are grown and now have kids of their own to cause them to occasionally take a time-out!!! Believe me, you will, in time, laugh about these trying times! lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had my dealer put on the new OD pulley since they were only going to charge me $60!! Took them about an hour (probably less), and I've put about 80 miles on it. City and highway... No squeaks at all..

I hope EVERY SINGLE 900 RIDER out there reads this next line----

""PUT THIS PULLEY ON YOUR BIKE!!"" I've rode big engine twins, sportbikes, everything else.... This OD pulley makes a huge difference in DRIVE-ABILITY. It doesn't lug in first, it rolls into the speed much smoother.. At 70- I'm actually going 70... and it's just a perfect RPM/ speed balance. I've debaffled my pipes just like several others. Without a tach, I use the sound to verify the engine RPM's. At 70 (correct now with the OD pulley) the sound is perfect, ie good RPM range which is lower than the indicated 70 prior to the OD pulley install. This modification is one of the VERY BEST Mods I have made on any bike... PERIOD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts