Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone from 93 to 87 octane on the Voyager, and if so have you seen any difference in performance good or bad?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yes myself and several others have. Honestly I get the same performance so I use 87.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its all about your comperssion ratio. 9.5 to 1 or less ...you pretty much should be running lower to mid range octane. Higher comp ratio machines need slower ignition high octane fuels.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The general rule of thumb is run the lowest you can, without consistent pinging/knocking.

This can vary day by day as conditions change. Mine (not this model, but a Vulcan) seems to need more octane on hotter days and with heavier loads.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find i get better performance with 87 , ive never heard a ping.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ran 87 octane in my 900 for 6 years with no problems. Since changing my exhaust on the Vaq I have been running 87 and it has reduced backfiring and popping. It is running just fine with no pinging at all.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Using 87 octane in my 2011 Vaquero, now over 30k on the bike, no problems, less popping, too.

:D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
OK. How do you all hear if it is pinging or not with the loud exhaust and tunes blaring?

I mix it up depending on riding conditions and location where I buy fuel when on a trip. If it is a mom and pop station without ethanol, I get 87 because I figure they sell more of that than 93. If I am droning down the interstate I run 87. My local station sells 93 no ethanol so I put that in the tank.

For me it is not a matter of money, but what is best for the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
OK. How do you all hear if it is pinging or not with the loud exhaust and tunes blaring?

I mix it up depending on riding conditions and location where I buy fuel when on a trip. If it is a mom and pop station without ethanol, I get 87 because I figure they sell more of that than 93. If I am droning down the interstate I run 87. My local station sells 93 no ethanol so I put that in the tank.

Well I could hear it back when I was testing for my ignition map and I have modified slip-ons.
Do you have a fuel manager?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
It's not a matter of money for me either, but there's no sense to burn premium if not necessary to prevent pinging/knocking.

If the engine isn't pinging/knocking, the bike doesn't care that it's "only" 87 octane...really, it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Does anyone notice any difference in operating temps while using different octanes?

I don't like to use 87 during the summer; but use 89 pretty regularly. I tried some 93 recently and my coolant gauge ran about a half a tic mark lower than normal.
I used 93 for several tanks and got the same results. My last tank of 93 however ran just as warm as the 89 I usually use.
I bought it from the same station too.

I wonder if the 93 I had been getting recently had lower Ethanol?

Anyway, I've had some knocking with 87 under a hard load so I'll stick with 89 or above.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Its all about your comperssion ratio. 9.5 to 1 or less ...you pretty much should be running lower to mid range octane. Higher comp ratio machines need slower ignition high octane fuels.
It's more than just compression. A heavily turbocharged 8:1 engine almost definitely needs higher octane fuel while some 13.5:1 engines (like my car) are tuned to run 87 just fine. Back in the day compression mattered; today there are just way too many variables going on.

My general rule of thumb is twofold. 1) Never below what the manufacturer recommends. 2) Never low enough to cause pinging. If 87 satisfies both those criteria; go for it!

As a general add because it always comes up in Octane threads- some bikes and some manuals use the RON system. So if it suggests 91 RON that is actually a suggestion for 87 R+M/2 (which is what you'll find in the U.S.). 91 RON = 89 R+M/2, etc. Check the label/sticker/manual and see if it says RON or AKI. (Generally, AKI = R+M/2 or the 'US standard')

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just ran my second tank of 87 and I have not noticed any difference except one. When I was using 93 I would get carbon/black soot coming out of the screw heads on my Cobra Tri-Ovals. So far with 87, I have not noticed that stuff coming back. No knocking, same power and maybe a bit quieter.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I used 97 octane for two years... I have started using the 87 and it runs better, no more idle problems, and gets better gas mileage. And no pinging... so far even on the 95 degree day we had two weeks ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used 97 octane for two years... I have started using the 87 and it runs better, no more idle problems, and gets better gas mileage. And no pinging... so far even on the 95 degree day we had two weeks ago.
Bubba,

Based on your word, I will try 87 Octane on my next fillup.

Fraternally,

Jack

·
Registered
440 Posts
For over a year now ive tried each octane level and i mean more than one tank full of each. By far 87 octane wins. Better performance and smoother cruising and less surging. I think the 1700 engine likes it better.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have varying levels of ignition timing advance via my PCV and do from time to time hear a ping if I run 85 or lower, my bike seems to like 92/93, but I regularly run 89...the bike calls for 90 or better, seems to have a little more power but gets hot quicker with lower than 89...but all our gas here in texas has ethanol in it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone gone from 93 to 87 octane on the Voyager, and if so have you seen any difference in performance good or bad?

Hey Mike. I like min.91 octane. The cost is minimal. Burns cleaner and I'm not a big Ethanol guy. In Canada our plugs cost about $45 per plug roughly. Yours maybe $35. Just saying. Pay me Pay me later. And I haven't noticed a lot of performance change.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts