Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual on my 1700 says 90 octane or better. The bike is new and it has about 450 mi on it now.

I checked the forums and I see riders are running anywhere from 87 to 93.

So what is the real deal? Thanks in advance

Cheech

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been going with the 93 to avoid detonation. I'm no mechanic but it would be better to have a little more than less octane.

It just means the fuel should burn a little slower.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
My owners manual on my 1700 says 90 octane or better. The bike is new and it has about 450 mi on it now.

I checked the forums and I see riders are running anywhere from 87 to 93.

So what is the real deal? Thanks in advance

Cheech
89 is only one point below Kawi's recommendation of 90. I have found , and this holds true on the sportbikes we work on, that alot of times factory recommended octane levels are a bit higher than what the engine will be happy with. 89 would be a better choice for octane as compared to 93. Too much octane is exactly that, too much. Gas mileage and performance will not be as good as with 89, and I have found most 1700's are happy with 87.

We have a 250 Ninja race bike on the dyno right now. Factory recommends 90 but the owner has been running 93. We performed baseline dyno runs with the 93, drained the tank and carbs, put in 89 and performed back up dyno runs. This little thing picked up over 2 H.P., with the gains starting at 4000 rpm! Major gains as this thing went from 29 h.p. to over 31!

You are still in the breakin period and the running characteristics of the engine have been and will continue to change over the next 1000 miles or so. Taking it easy during breakin actually requires less octane as compared to more aggressive riding that may be done when the skoot is well broken in.

On the next tank try the 89, you may already have somewhat of a baseline idea of how your skoot is running, so let us know what you detect. I am sure there will certainly be no disadvantage, and most (including myself) report slightly better mpg, better throttle response and a little bit smoother running engine.

Both my previous ZX-14's (which also had the factory recommended 90 octane) made more power, got better mpg and ran smoother on....87 octane!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very interesting Ray. I think I may try a tank of 89 at the next fill up.

My bike only has 750 miles so I haven't got a good feel for this one. My M109R didn't like lower octane. It would ping with lower octane fuel around town (without lugging).

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...On the next tank try the 89, you may already have somewhat of a baseline idea of how your skoot is running, so let us know what you detect...
RACNRAY

:D

Thanks for the depth, RACNRAY. I appreciate it. I'll drive it on 89 and report back if its better/worse/same.

-Cheech

·
Registered
98 Posts
After seeing all the comments a few months ago I started using 87. Had used 93 for the first 5K miles. Ran the last 2K with 87 and can say the only thing I notice is more money in my pocket. Same performance and I think a little better MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yep, same as ramdam1. Runs just fine on 87.:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ive been running 89 octane for a while now , thanks to rays advice a while ago. been thinking of going to 87 , ive tried 91 93 and sunoco 94 and i found that the bike loses it cruiser feel and jumpy on the throttle and more decel popping . 89 makes it feel like a bike , most people think the higher the octane the better the milage and they think it cleans out the fuel system , and i get in this argument at work all the time ..people are programed . the only thing i noticed with lower octane is my pipes seem louder, could be just me .. this is my first fuel injected bike .and she seems to never run the same , oneday awsome and the other kinda fikle..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A higher octane gas may keep the fuel system cleaner as they may have a higher concentration of certain additives in the blend.

Generally speaking though, I agree with the "you don't need to use higher octane unless it's necessary", advice. "It's necessary" primarily being that the engine knocks/pings on lower octane.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
around here[Iowa]87 octane is gasahol, is it the same all over, a lot of articles i read say not to use alcohole[10%ethonal] in motorcycles

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
A higher octane gas may keep the fuel system cleaner as they may have a higher concentration of certain additives in the blend.

Generally speaking though, I agree with the "you don't need to use higher octane unless it's necessary", advice. "It's necessary" primarily being that the engine knocks/pings on lower octane.
One of my younger brothers is a Cadillac factory trained technician and he taught me something about the gas at the pumps we have today.

What we have is I believe what is called "tier 3" gas. I don't know what all that means, but in relation to fuel system cleaners this is what he told me, and I remember few years back Shell was pushing thru advertising their V2 hi-test gas with a focus on lotsa fuel system cleaner in the gas.

This tier 3 spec requires THE SAME AMOUNT of fuel system cleaner in all grades of fuel. Whatever amount is in the hi-test MUST be in the lower grade gas.Kinda prevents misleading and erroneous promotion of hi-test fuels due to whatever amount of cleaner they are claiming.

So, what this means is all grades of fuel must have the same amount of fuel system cleaner (if the manufacturor puts any in at all) and the only difference would be in the octane rating.

Goes back to the old saying..."run the lowest octane you can that does not allow any pinging".

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
around here[Iowa]87 octane is gasahol, is it the same all over, a lot of articles i read say not to use alcohole in motorcycles
From what I understand the WHOLE country is runnin on gasahol. What percentage of ethanol is in the gas there? Gas today can have up to 10% ethanol and that will not cause any harm to an engine.

What I have seen happening since about 2007 ( when down here in S. Fla we started getting the "up to 10% ethanol gas) relates to the fuel's long term storage. I see noticeable deterioration in fuel as soon as in 2 months. Skoots wih carbs that are not run on a regular basis are having carb problems in as little as 2-3 months. Many skoots that have come in my shop get ridden only every now and then for short trips and don't get fresh fuel into the tank till enuff miles has occured. This can take months and that gas in the tank is going bad, every time the skoot is run more bad gas is being introduced into the carbs where it will continue to deteriorate.

There are stations around that sell no-ethanol 90 octane and I have run that with a very small improvenment in power and response, but not worth the extra 25-30 cents per gallon more than 87.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wholeheartely agree with ray, i've ran chevron89 in all my vehicles and bikes and seems to do real well, got 68mpg with my honda r/s and now get b/w 50 & 55 with the 900....enjoy..!

·
Registered
440 Posts
well i just put in 87 and we'll see how it goes, i refilled at 160 miles on the trip meter with one gallon left in the tank, been wondering what is a good fuel injection cleaner additive ? i dont trust everything, whats good and how often should i use ? just curious

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
well i just put in 87 and we'll see how it goes, i refilled at 160 miles on the trip meter with one gallon left in the tank, been wondering what is a good fuel injection cleaner additive ? i dont trust everything, whats good and how often should i use ? just curious
I strive to use FI cleaner about every 3000-5000 mils. I currently use Amsoil's PI cleaner only because I include a case of it in my oil order.

I have used Gumout and Techroline in the past, all 3 seemed to provide the same benefits. I always double the dose and use the FI cleaner in 2 tanks of gas. The cheaper $2.99 a bottle cleaners never seemed to work as well.

I did try the Berryman brand and right after using it my fuel pump started to whine, it had never done that before so I don't use that stuff anymore.

Other's have positively commented on using Seafoam.

Injectors don't really get dirty while the engine is in operation, I believe it is when the engine is shut down the heat bakes the fuel in the injector orifices which disrupts the spray pattern.

I just put doses in my Tundra and the Vaq, with about 50 miles on each I can already feel an improvement. The Tundra developes a hesitation right off idle after miles and the cleaner is already starting to lessen that.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've had good luck with the Berrymans, but it is powerful so I'd stick to the recommended amount. I think it's mostly toluene...so its a good cleaner. Also toluene can raise octane but I think not much if any in the normal concentration.

Also, for those that have mandatory ethanol blend, typ. E10, the ethanol in the gas is a good cleaner too. That said, I think all gas except racing and aviation fuel has pretty crappy shelf life these days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts