Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just curious as to what others have used to marble their Vulcan 900's.. I tried using a 1/2 inch marble but there was no way in hell that thing was going to fit in the hose without possibly damaging it so I ended up using a wire nut.

What objects did you guys use?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Red wire nut. Zip tie on either side just in case but it wasn't going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The Cobra PowerFlo Air Intake has a billet breather filter that plugs right into the breather hose. I plugged the hole on the filter with silicone sealant. I'm pretty sure that blocks any air from entering the breather tube now.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
With my big 3 installed, I did not marble. Fuel processor if properly tuned, and running the correct grade of fuel, there is no need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Cobra PowerFlo Air Intake has a billet breather filter that plugs right into the breather hose. I plugged the hole on the filter with silicone sealant. I'm pretty sure that blocks any air from entering the breather tube now.
Haha I was considering using silicone but just couldn't pull the trigger on something so permanent

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With my big 3 installed, I did not marble. Fuel processor if properly tuned, and running the correct grade of fuel, there is no need.
I only have aftermarket pipes and an fi2000r I never changed the air intake. For the life of me I can't seem to get my processor tuned well enough to eliminate all popping so the hope was plugging that little hole might be the missing key

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I only have aftermarket pipes and an fi2000r I never changed the air intake. For the life of me I can't seem to get my processor tuned well enough to eliminate all popping so the hope was plugging that little hole might be the missing key
With you not having an upgraded air intake, there really is no need for the processor at all. How does it run without it?

I recommend disconnecting it and run 87 grade fuel and see what happens. Could be that simple.

Edit: Installing aftermarket pipes does not in itself warrant a fuel processor. If you make any changes to the air intake, then adjustments to the fuel may well be necessary as it will probably be out of the range of the on board ecm. More incoming air needs more fuel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With you not having an upgraded air intake, there really is no need for the processor at all. How does it run without it?

I recommend disconnecting it and run 87 grade fuel and see what happens. Could be that simple.
I was actually considering this last night. To be honest I ran it without a processor for 2 weeks while I waited for it to arrive in the mail, it ran fine from what I could tell aside from the throttle not being very smooth.

I was just paranoid about running too lean so I figured a processor would be a good idea.

Thanks for the input, I'll disconnect it this weekend and see what happens

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I was actually considering this last night. To be honest I ran it without a processor for 2 weeks while I waited for it to arrive in the mail, it ran fine from what I could tell aside from the throttle not being very smooth.

I was just paranoid about running too lean so I figured a processor would be a good idea.

Thanks for the input, I'll disconnect it this weekend and see what happens
I edited that last post explaining further.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Sticking with the lower 87 octane (US) on the 900 is usually recommended as well. If you run the high octane 91, the result is usually unburned fuel getting ignited in the exhaust, also causing popping and what one might consider backfiring, especially on decel.

What do you mean by throttle not being smooth? Have you tried to run some seafoam through the system on a full tank? Might just need a good fuel system cleaning. Not a bad idea to do this regularly.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I actually used a marble. Looking at this thread I am the only one responding that actually marbled my bike. The rest of you all "nutted" your bikes... LOL Couldn't help myself...

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
The rest of you all "nutted" your bikes... LOL Couldn't help myself...
Looking around innocently trying NOT to get reprimanded by the mods by commenting further on that one! :shut-mouth::devil:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Edit: Installing aftermarket pipes does not in itself warrant a fuel processor. If you make any changes to the air intake, then adjustments to the fuel may well be necessary as it will probably be out of the range of the on board ecm. More incoming air needs more fuel.
Does it matter that my bike does not have an 02 sensor hooked up to the exhaust?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I actually used a marble. Looking at this thread I am the only one responding that actually marbled my bike. The rest of you all "nutted" your bikes... LOL Couldn't help myself...
I ended up using a ball bearing (steel marble):D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It does not. Mine doesn't!
I tried disconnecting the processor for a week, it seemed to run okay until the pipes got hot and then it started popping like crazy on decel and engine braking.

The processor for sure smooths the throttle out and seems to make it run smoother and cooler at highway speeds (with the processor un hooked I could feel a ton of heat on my leg from the pipes, but not so with the processor) .. but the same thing, once the pipes get hot from longer riding it starts popping like mad on decel and engine braking

I'm in the process of playing with the fi2000R .. I started at 1 on the green pod and have worked my way up to 8 by .5 increments trying to see if I can get rid of the popping.. the sound drives me nuts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I tried disconnecting the processor for a week, it seemed to run okay until the pipes got hot and then it started popping like crazy on decel and engine braking.

The processor for sure smooths the throttle out and seems to make it run smoother and cooler at highway speeds (with the processor un hooked I could feel a ton of heat on my leg from the pipes, but not so with the processor) .. but the same thing, once the pipes get hot from longer riding it starts popping like mad on decel and engine braking

I'm in the process of playing with the fi2000R .. I started at 1 on the green pod and have worked my way up to 8 by .5 increments trying to see if I can get rid of the popping.. the sound drives me nuts
I think your going about tuning that thing all wrong. For starters just try setting it to 2-2-1 and ride it a bit. Take it out and run it through the rpm range in 2-3 and part of 4th unless you get going too fast. Do that a few times. Then give it a good 50 miles to settle down and report back. If that setting isn't the best for your bike then there is a way to dial it in, but just moving the green one isn't the way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts