Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,after driving the CAR for3days(W/all this lovely Florida rain-lol)&also havin my 'ol dog covered up for3days,got on my'17 ol dog,& after lettin my motor do the regular wwait til the engine choke brings it down to a regular idle;&low&behold,the Engine light stayed on(Yuk!);So after finding the 67 code on my bikes display,I looked up the code on my bosses work computer,&there it was-67 code=O2 sensor-I just Love All this so called emission sensitive Computer Controlled Crap!!?!!-I'LL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT1,THE 3 C's of the modern day era(Again,Yuk). In any event,after learning that the Stupid o2 sensor cost$ a mere 165-175 bucks,I decided to call my Dealership(Yes,the 1 I Do'nt like&or Trust!?!-But thats where I purchased the bike from-lol)\Thank god I remembered my KPP(Kawasaki Protection Plan/Extended Warranty),&Thankfully after letting my dealership look it up&confirm that it's good until 06 of 23,I'm told that Kawasaki Will warranty the o2 sensor,Even w/ my 32,500 miles on the bike.Again,Thank God.As a foot note,the cost of the o2 sensor along w/labor would have co$t me around $300.00(YUK Again!). &Here I Did'nt Believe in Extended Warranty's........ Time will tell when the sensor comes in&the dealership performs there repair...... Also,an Important Note to All Kawasaki rider's out there,when I was calling arond pricing the o2 sensor,1 of my mechanics discovered when looking up the part on his computer that all Kawasaki parts(@least here in the states)are now coming from 3 Distribution warehouses-All done by Amazon now-Wow,How this Covid 19 NON SENSE has really changed alot of Businesses & how things are done-Amazing!?! Who'd uh Thunk it? As Much as I Enjoy(Almost) workin on my bike;After all the reading('s) in this Vulcan forum about changing out this sensor&then tryin to get the Computer Re-set,I'm glad to have my Dealership/Kawasaki coverin me on this1/Rde Safe,Be Well All,&KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:) :p :geek:o_O:cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Extended warranty to the rescue. Hope you get back on the road soon. While many members riding season is coming to an end, you live in the endless riding season zone. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extended warranty to the rescue. Hope you get back on the road soon. While many members riding season is coming to an end, you live in the endless riding season zone. Be well and Ride Safely.
Still ridin ol dog w/the bad o2 sensor-No,it do'nt hurt nuthin-Part should be in by end of this week or early next week/&Thank God,@least this 1 time for an extended Warranty;I'm just an Average workin man-its nice to catch a Break:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not a fan of all the emissions stuff either. Once you get in to the tuning end it adds a whole new set of headaches.

Glad you got it replaced under warranty. Otherwise, don't blow 175 and be in the same situation somewhere down the road. Plug in an O2 eliminator and forget about it forever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing I can say that I Learned-First 5 years of any Vehicle(Motorcycle OR Not!Petro- Fueled,that is),According to Federal Law(Another Joke!)-All Vehicle Company's(Motorcycle or not) are required to fix anything connected to the exhaust-o2 Sensors included! Its the Vehicle manufacturer's job to make sure that this so-called Emmission equipment is Doin its job!??! As far as I'm concerned,I am Glad its bein taken care of-ESPECIALLY BY THE DEALERSHIP-ITS ABOUT TIME THEY WERE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR SOMETHING!!! On another Serious Note,If All these Darned Petroleum Companys were'nt so damm'd worried about How Much $ they could Always Profit off of Everyone('LIKE THEY'RE HURTIN!!!!!!!),&Just maybe by Some Crazy Miracle,MAYBE if they Did'nt put All This F...in Ethanol in the gas(&NO,PLEASE DO'NT HAND THIIS *NONSENSE ABOUT THE POOR OL FARMERS NEEDIN A REASON TO GET RID OF ALL THERE ACCESS CORN!!!-YOU CAN THANK OUR GOOD OL POLITICIANS FOR THAT1/THATS ANOTHER SUBJECT-&YES,I GREW UP ON A FARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!). So in conclusion,this o2 sensor&Emmission equipment is just another False Farse to Charge the Workin guy for another STUPID PART to fix-Like we really need these things? &Please,Do'nt get me wrong,I'm all for Clean air,&yes I've Smelled Plenty of 'Rich burnin' Vehicles,cars&trucks,while ridin down the Highway. All I know is this country will be Better off,When it Stops puttin the dollar'$(&or Profits) before Common sense. Almost* makes me wanna go out & buy 1 of those Lovely Electric Motorcycles!!?!!-NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ride Safe&be Well All/KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:) LETS BURN UP RUBBER,&GAS TOO:) WHAT CAN IT HURT?:) o_O :geek::cool::p:p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope I Did'nt OFFEND ANY1 W/ THAT POSTS:)
Hey Kawasaki Brad-I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW *WHERE TO GET 1 of those o2 Eliminator's-That would be Great-Thanks,Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm not a fan of all the emissions stuff either. Once you get in to the tuning end it adds a whole new set of headaches.

Glad you got it replaced under warranty. Otherwise, don't blow 175 and be in the same situation somewhere down the road. Plug in an O2 eliminator and forget about it forever.

Oxygen sensors are just one part of a series of components that relay fuel mixture to ECM not emissions related unless there is a downstream and an upstream sensor of the catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oxygen sensors are just one part of a series of components that relay fuel mixture to ECM not emissions related unless there is a downstream and an upstream sensor of the catalytic converter.

You know Texas Nurse,That kinda makes a lil sense-I guess the o2 sensor is supposed to tell the engine When it needs more,or less oxgen to properly set the best running fuel mixture. OK, but I still think its a Joke,and an Un- needed part. All I know is this,If any engine is properly tuned w/a lil bit of maintenance/tlc-it Should'nt need a computer to mix its fuel off of an o2 sensor. By the way,if this o2 sensor is'nt run off of emmission's,Then Why are all these o2 sensors mounted on the exhaust system? Huh,am I missin sumthin here? Kinda like the ol P C V valves they used to put on the car engines that were mounted on the valve covers only to take the fumes from inside of an engine only to route it thru the cars intake to be burnt again. Just 1 note;When this whole non sense of my o2 sensor went out,I was gettin 65.4 mpg's,I'm now down to a whole low whoppin 65.3-Nonsense!!?!! I can't say if I agree w/all this ethanol in the fuel along w/all this computerised crap or not-All I know is it aint killin my'17 'ol dog'! o2 sensors,kinda like Politicians,'can't trust em as far as You can throw em!!?!!-lol:) *&by the way,do you really need an o2 sensor to tell your engine it needs More or Less oxygen to run properly? Is'nt oxygen what flammables feed off of? Maybe I shoulda gone to college!?! &if there is an downstream or upstream to the catalytic converter,Is'nt that some sorta function of emmissions? Again,if its not emmission related,Why is the o2 sensor mounted to the exhaust system? Am I missin somthin here? I guess I can thank the state of California for this......Oh,wait a minute,is'nt that the stae thats burnin up like crazy? Maybe they need an o2 sensor? Sorry if I offended any 1 out,THAT WAS POLTICALLY INCORRECT-LOL:) Fuel burnin vehicles or Electric,I think its maybe a little too late to worry about How Much fuel is goin burnt or un burnt into the atmosphere; Its a little late to be worried about Global warming now,&hey,the good ol USA is Notorious for consuming/using More Fuel's than any1 else. & of course,or maybe I should say Coarse,there are Plenty of other country's/places that Are'nt exactly too concerned about any measure's of Climate control. As far as I'm concerned,I do'nt exactly think that our two wheeled scoots out # the 4wheelers out there/DO WE *REALLY NEED O2 SENSORS on our scoots? RIDE SAFE ALL,&KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ummmmm......what?
I think you need to study up on how a modern engine with an ECM and all the sensors work.
The 02 sensor is needed to adjust the air fuel mixture. How did you think the engine know how much gas to inject for the given circumstances?
If you want your catalytic convertor to plug up, go ahead and remove the sensor and put a bolt in its place.
And why are you stuck on emissions?
A engine that's running properly is better for the rider and also better for the environment.
You cant be for smog - right?
With a good 02 sensor the engine will run smoother and use less gas, its that simple.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm Not stuck on emmissions/I'm simply sayin,I think its a little too much for any engine-These computers&all!!?!! And speakin of computers,Alot of the older cars*&Bikes(Motorcycles)engines did'nt have any computers to tell the engine How to mix the air-fuel mixture;Not even the Older engines, when fuel injection was introduced- it did'nt need a computer to tell the fuel injection system what fuel mixture it needed. Look @ Alot of the older bikes,Like the 70's Honda 750 four,Did they have o2 sensors on them? *&Alot of those *older motorcycles,Like Triumph's,are Still runnin strong off a carb,without fuel injection or o2 sensors\'Just sayin'. Maybe I'm soundin a lil Stupid here,I'll accept that on this 1;I'm just old school-I've got Nothing against Polishing an engines internal parts,or portin the heads,or even roller rockers;&*Yes,alot of the engine Modifying techniques I'm talkin about have already been incorporated into todays engines,all I'm sayin is,take any 2 of todays modern day motorcycles of the same make-same engine/I'll be willing to bet that if you run them both for the same amount of years,same amount of miles,as long as Both have kept clean air cleaners,regular spark plug changes,regular oil changes:I'm sorry,but I do'nt beleive that If you run 1 w/an o2 sensor,& 1 w/out the o2 sensor,that its really goin to make that much of a difference....... As far as the M P G 's goes,I Have'nt noticed that much of a difference in my engines performance or its daily mileage. These Kawasaki engines today,Along w/all the others Bikes on the road today,Have pretty solid built engines-Maybe I'm missing something here,but do we really need an o2 sensor to make a motorcycles engine run properly&or correctly? Also,just Curious,Why were some of the Forum members suggesting that I just go ahead&get an o2 sensor Eliminator kit? 1st of all,If I could take the o2 sensor off line w/ the motorcycles computer,I WOULD!!! 2nd,the Only reason I'm botherin to get this o2 sensor contraption fixed,is because its covered under my Warranty/*No,I'm not Cheap,I just think this o2 sensor is another engineer's excuse for a Waste of Money'$!! If thats the Best answer they (or WE?) can come up with to curb Global Warming,THEN WE'RE *ALL IN A SH..LOAD OF TROUBLE!!?!!Oh, Thats right,The new answer is the Electric Car,&Electric Motorcycles are also on the way,by the way:) Think of this,From an ol Illinois farm boy(Still think I'm an Idiot?)WHO'S GONNA HAVE AN o2 SENSOR ON ALL THESE COMPANY'S/FACTORY'S that are MAKIN THESE LITHIUM BATTERY'S that are goin to power these vehicle's? They've already proved that makin these Battery's for these electric vehicles IS'NT goin to be a Clean Process- I CAN ASSURE THAT THE CO$T OF USING THESE BATTERY'S vs. the Co$t of what WE'LL PAY to replace them Wo'nt Matter to the Battery Producers when they're countin there Bank Rolls!! Am I stuck on emmissions?/NO!!\ All I"M Sayin is this-PLEASE STOP ADDIN JUNK TO MY MOTORCYCLES ENGINE THAT it Does'nt Need. Better yet,Cany any 1 out there show me some 1's Motorcycle engine that Died because their o2 sensor went out&Was'nt replaced?.....RIDE SAFE,KEEP THE RUBBER ONTHE ROAD ALL:):rolleyes:o_O:((y):cool::geek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts